Home Dota 2

Lalzy's slow workshop

Hello there polycount fellas !

I'm kinda new around here, have been registered since dota2 contest but have only lurked since then. After seeing so much good work being done around here I eventually decided to step up and start sharing my own stuff. Or more like sharing what I will do from now on :)

I did a presentation back then, but since it's lost in the flow of time I'll briefly introduce myself again. My name is Joackim, I'm 19 and I'm currently an art student. I live in Nice, France, and already apology for my fishy english :poly136: I had no formation in 3D modeling, and have only been learning by myself, so I kinda suck. That's why I'll mostly work on item concept/design, and will maybe think about the actual modelling later on.

I'll upload my first sketches by tomorrow (opening this thread gives me motivation as a lazy person. Hopefully it'll work and soon there will be load of stuff to see here :poly121: ).

Thanks for reading, see you soon ! :)

Replies

• Lalzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go !

The first hero I'm working with is Anti-Mage. The background story of this his unfortunate meeting with the undead army who destroyed the monastery in which he was just accepted as an acolyte, going there with as a pilgrim seeking wisdom. I wanted to dig into that pilgrim moment of antimage's life, and in his state right after he leaves to destroyed monastery. I began my research with the obvious : budhists monks and their outfits.

yPHXezV.jpg

I found the draped clothes of the monks pretty interesting to get a new feel on the hero, and started my sketches using this base.

NE6S5Qq.png

I will post more sketches and advancement by tomorrow !

If anyone got pieces of advice for an inexperienced graphic tablet user, I'd be pleased to have a piece of it ! I'm more used to drawing on paper, so the whole tablet thing is a bit hard for me ^^'

And feel free to say what you think of the idea :D
  • Lalzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so things were a lot slower than expected :(

Updating with new research images, better sketches and new ideas.

The outfit is supposed to be worn during the years that follow the destruction of the monastery. Magina is travelling, on quest of strengh and answers to defeat magic. He is a lone pilgrim, without money and use for it.
    I added a hood, as a traveller's trademark.

Yn3YXZu.jpg

The clothes are worn out, from years of going through lands and weather. It's now less affective against cold, but the cape doesn't slow him down in battle anymore.

JdrTuQo.jpg

I'm not quite sure about the crest that should be used on the hood/cape. This was the one he used to wear on his forehead.

qULDdwg.jpg

For the weapon, I've been sketching a lot, and truth is I already love the weapons he got ingame... But I came up with a ying-yang based concept, weapons that can be easily carry (putting them together will make a circle "shield" that you can carry on your back). Still very unsure about this ^^

I still suck at modelling, and would really love to find someone to work with on this project !!

Feel free to throw in some idea and tell me whatever you thing, good or bad, of this concept ^^

cheers !