Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP]Barrett XM109 20MM

The very first thing I ever properly modeled was a Barrett XM109 rifle. That was one year ago, so just as a personal thing, and a benchmark for my progress, I've decided to re-do the model. I'm not going to bake/make a low-poly, but I will texture it.

Starting on the scope first, I don't have a polygon limit, so I went a bit overboard. With the completed scope I'm on roughly 322k triangles, then again the scope is the most detailed part of the weapon.
aQraapO.jpg
VLracQH.jpg
3uj7nYU.jpg
yJw90OY.jpg
9T9KrYj.jpg

Sorry for including the render of the screw, I just invested so much damn time in figuring out how to model it I just had to. More to come.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The screw seems to be formed from a coiled cylinder rather than an actual thread. The thread profile should be similar to one of these:
    threads.gif

producing a result like:
    screw1.jpg

Finally, are you certain the screws should be tapered? That's more typical of screws used to bite into soft materials like wood than for connecting two pieces of steel.
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess they logically shouldn't be tapered, and should have sharper angles, and I could change them if they made a big difference, but I think the tapered end reads better in silhouette, and in general. I'm modelling the weapon, but it's a slightly stylised/exaggerated version. Or at least that's my awful excuse for inaccuracies.

Also, picatinny mount for the scope modeled. I think the lens of the scope looks a lot better with something to reflect, I can't wait to see it in a proper environment.

vC1seqg.jpg
  • XeroS371
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

i like ur scope. Its some kind of heavy and bulky, especially the front part, but its a nice start. Hope u will post some updates :)

I would suggest u change the screw. U createt a whithworth-screw, but it is only for pipes. Additionaly a whithworth-screw is a bit conical. Normally u combine the parts with a sellers-screw, cause it is cheaper and more practical. Just technical details, but maybe u can make use of it.
    Last but not least, u used the screw to combine some parts of the scope. The bolts arent enough to fix them together, u need some nuts to get enough pressure.

Pls excuse my bad english :)
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XeroS371 wrote: »
    Hi,

i like ur scope. Its some kind of heavy and bulky, especially the front part, but its a nice start. Hope u will post some updates :)

I would suggest u change the screw. U createt a whithworth-screw, but it is only for pipes. Additionaly a whithworth-screw is a bit conical. Normally u combine the parts with a sellers-screw, cause it is cheaper and more practical. Just technical details, but maybe u can make use of it.
    Last but not least, u used the screw to combine some parts of the scope. The bolts arent enough to fix them together, u need some nuts to get enough pressure.

Pls excuse my bad english :)

Well, seeing as the only CC I've gotten is about the screws, I figured I'd change them, just to see if they look better. And damn I'm glad I did, this looks a whole heap better than the previous screws. Is this a lot closer to an appropriate screw? I'll be putting a nut on each screw now-ish.
    0h9YQ5c.jpg

As for actual progress of modelling, today I modelled out the receiver, and I have to say I'm really digging how it's coming along.

MjszZ4q.jpg

k5Wiq9M.jpg

86XzFgp.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not an easy weapon to model - decent reference shots are limited. The best shot I could find of a Barret (M82, I believe) shows a standard Picatinny rail, although others seem to feature slightly different versions:
    barrett.jpg

Thus, the profile should conform to this:
    wb0105-Specs2.jpg
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOTS of progress done today! I'd like to say I finished the modelling part, if there's anything outstanding just tell me. Now onto making the low poly, I'm thinking I should make it a full asset.

1gdkgFt.jpg

I5DXb65.jpg

Now 46% more than 20% poseable.
    OZguWzY.jpg

6S9xqD4.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I think I see some errors.

-The mag is way too thick, look a these picture:
    M109-pic163.jpg
    And it don't seams to have the ''waffles'' on it.

-Look at the scope that DWalker post, the screws don't go through the scope mount.

-Your flash hidder have very sharp edge, again, look at my picture.
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo wrote: »
    I think I see some errors.

-The mag is way too thick, look a these picture:
    M109-pic163.jpg
    And it don't seams to have the ''waffles'' on it.

-Look at the scope that DWalker post, the screws don't go through the scope mount.

-Your flash hidder have very sharp edge, again, look at my picture.

xm109line.jpg
    This is the reference sheet I based the majority of it on.

I'll fix the sharp edges on the flash hider when I bake the normals, and the scope is just made up; it isn't based off of anything in particular so I gave myself some leeway with what looks good.

Thanks everyone for the CC
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Oh ok for the mag!

The overall shape of the scope looks ok to me, it's just the screw that doesn't make sense IMO :D

Looking forward for textures!