Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique - 16 Years Old Jr. Env Artist.

aranis
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aranis polycounter lvl 8
Hi i'm 16 and i have been in the environment modeling 1,5 years. Everday i improve my skills to modeling environments. I want see your suggestions.

Portfolio

Replies

• tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Aranis, nice to see you getting into modelling at such a young age!

Firstly it would be nice to have some art work on the front page. When I first loaded it up I thought it was broken.

Also, I'd take down the sci-fi gun that you've got up currently. It's nice but since it's from a tutorial it would be better if you re-made a new original weapon using the techniques you've learned from doing that.

In the basketball court scene, the textures on the walls are very obviously repeating. Try breaking it up with decals, grunge ect.

Other that things are looking quite nice. Keep it and you'll see massive improvements :)
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    very very thanks for suggestions :)
    i want see another suggestions.
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    another? work work work work ........ and get better
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    ^^ tweekedgirl i'm going to modelling a new sci-fi gun and i use i learned every techniques.
    Kyuzo u're right work work work and get better.
    concept of the gun : 640x461_5341_Assault_rifle_2_2d_sci_fi_concept_art_gun_weapon_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I can see other more formal things missing (full name? pdf-cv? linkeding? art-in-my-face, contact info in pictures, proper domain name, etc.), but then again you should focus on getting better at the craft instead of focusing on a portfolio site at this point?
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    i make this job for improve my skills not earn money and i dont need to formal things for now.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice would be to not lead with your age. It taints whatever feedback you're going to receive. Just show the work and take the feedback.
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I second the advice of WarrenM. Your work is really good for anyone relatively new to video game art. It is generally frowned upon to bring up your age. It comes off as unprofessional and of course it will taint the advice you receive. But anyway, I would just suggest you keep working hard and you will get to where ever you want to be eventually. Try and have a thick skin because the most harsh advice is sometimes the most useful, and in order to learn at the fastest rate you should take any and all advice. Keep up the good work!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Warren. Your age is really irrelevant. You're off to a good start. And it's good you're asking for feedback.

I would work more on improving single assets instead of just throwing stuff in there to make a big scene. It would be helpful to post for each asset:

1. A few beauty shots with multiple angles
    2. A Wireframe shot
    3. Your flat UV textures

It's hard to give good feedback on just a single beauty shot.

Also, it sounds like you want to be an environment artist, which is fantastic! But it would also help to get a grasp on other art mediums as well, such as drawing, photography, sculpting, etc. if you haven't already. You can still have a primary focus on modeling, but the different art mediums often complement one another and are sometimes easier to learn certain fundamentals such as, Overall composition, perspective, scale, color theory, values, empty space, lighting, etc.

It's also interesting to see 3d space be interpreted to a 2d space, and vice versa as well.

Keep on keeping on. But don't use your age as an excuse to help soften the blow. Be honest with your art work. It's very difficult. But you have to be your worst critic. Use it to push yourself to get better. If you're always using your age as an excuse to get by, you won't be able to get better and that mentality will slow you down considerably.

I know, because that was once me.

Feel free to continue to ask for feedback. We're here to help!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Spend some time studying 3-point lighting, learn the fundamentals of colour theory and the technical aspects of light. Look at the physics of illumination. Study art history. By all means learn software packages, but if you want to truly be an artist you must have a foundational education. Best of luck!
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    thanks to all.