Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Captain Bluebeard's Quarters

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
A new thread once again! :D

This time I'm going to challenge myself a bit.

I'll be working off of this concept here by my friend Sanggene Lee ( http://sanggene.blogspot.com/ ) It's meant to be the home of a Pirate-King by the name of Bluebeard, an adaptation of the French Fable/Folklore of the same name.

05_bb_floorplan1.jpg

Things are well laid out, but most if not all the detail is left up to me to hash out, especially if I take this in a more realistic style of texturing.

Here's the block-out as it stands right now, running into some proportional issues, some from the concept, others of my own making, as well as some places where things aren't snapping as I intended, but they'll be quick fixes.

Considering this here is literally about a half-days work I'm pretty happy with where it's going.

Block_Out_Shot_4_zps4dfe6a43.jpg
Block_Out_Shot_2_zpse9aeeb6d.jpg
Block_Out_Shot_3_zps41871956.jpg
Block_Out_Shot_4_zps4dfe6a43.jpg

Moving forward, I'll be fixing the proportional/technical problems in the block-out, add a few more pieces I overlooked in my initial plan, and then dive right into sculpting tileables that'll be used on a majority of the assets.

The statue, and the trophy heads are subject to removal depending on their complexity, as I have to keep my scope fairly focused.

Replies

• Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necroing this thread now that I have time to get back down to this project...

I've adjusted the proportions a bit on the level, which I'll post in the near future.

But I've started in on pushing the designs from what I have to work with in the concept

Couch_HP_Render_zps24fe5b97.jpg

I tried to incorporate nautical themes into the couch, so curving wave-like shapes, scallop shell, fish shaped legs etc... I plan on pulling it into Zbrush to do some more subtle and unique details, folds on the backing, more cushion squish, some details on the frame etc...

as always crits and comments very much appreciated!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to necro this project to get a more painterly environment for my port done.

I've redone the block out from scratch, and started in on some textures too

Initial_Textures_zpscf86fff3.jpg

Block-Out_1_zps08e50e40.jpg

Block-Out_2_zpse3958c1b.jpg

Block-Out_3_zpsaee6c598.jpg

Block-Out_3_zpsaee6c598.jpg

Block-Out_4_zps58e41c11.jpg
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    Looking really nice so far. Can't wait to see more.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rather big jump of an update, been working hard to get something presentable for GDC as a prgress shot, the rest of the rooms will come but for now I've got this one decently put together

Anything I hav ethe chance to change quickly would be awesome, time to go finish prepping for GDC

Current_Progresscopy_zpsc02898ac.jpg