Home Technical Talk

Introducing Knald - Open Beta!

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    cheers man.

it might even be possible to do it the way Mari does it? where instead of going on material ID you can offset UV's by +1 or +2 depending on the set.

so like, the head would be in 0 - 1 space, the body would be 1 - 2 space.
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Any chance of BMP support as an image format?

I will see what I can do, guys. :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    is there a way to automate knald? i mean through scripting, commandline whatever..
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    kio wrote: »
    is there a way to automate knald? i mean through scripting, commandline whatever..
    Not currently but it is something that we plan on adding in the future. :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,

New build ahoy! :D

We have made quite a few changes to this build as you can see below. Knald is now 64bit only and has the new ability to load 8k maps and bake Mesh AO from multi-million polygonal meshes with UVs in only a few minutes. :D

New & improved Mesh AO
    baked_vs_knald_ao_80pc.jpg
    Art courtesy of Dan Roarty

We have even included a new map type for you all to check out too! Transmission maps are designed to be used as omni-directional thickness maps (with an attenuation ramp) for semi-translucent materials.

Transmission
    Transmission.jpg
    Art courtesy of Warren Boonzaaier

As an added bonus we also have made substantial performance improvements the Integrator (speed has been increased by up to 500%) & to the Mesh AO (speed has been increased by up to 100%) :)

Have fun, enjoy the new goodies and please accept our heartfelt thanks for all the feedback since the beta started. Your help has been invaluable to us! <3

Release notes:
    Build Number: 20130823002 - August 25th, 2013.

Knald Technologies is now on Facebook and Twitter! Like us on Facebook Here & Add us on Twitter Here.

New Features, Improvements and Optimizations
    • Knald is now exclusively 64bit. 32bit environments are no longer supported.
    • Knald has a new map type! Transmission maps are now available and are designed to be used as omni-directional thickness maps (with an attenuation ramp) for semi-translucent materials.
    • Knald now has the ability to use 8192² and larger textures. Texture size is now only limited by the amount of available CPU RAM and GPU VRAM (4GB of VRAM is recommended for 8192²+ maps).
    • Knald now has the ability to load multi-million polygonal meshes for preview in the viewport and use with Mesh AO & Transmission map generation. Mesh size is now only limited by the amount of available CPU RAM and GPU VRAM.
    • Improved Integration accuracy.
    • Added a real-time translucency option in the 3d Preview window for use with the Transmission maps.
    • Added the ability to toggle the colored lights in the 3d Preview window.
    • Substantial performance improvements have been made to the Integrator. Speed has been increased by up to 500%
    • Substantial performance improvements have been made to the Mesh AO (formally Low Poly AO). Speed has been increased by up to 100%
    • Knald now automatically detects the correct balance between integration speed & responsiveness based on the status of your GPU.
    • New 'Prioritize Integration Performance' option added to the preferences. This allows Knald to prioritize integration, Mesh AO & Transmission speed over viewport responsiveness.
    • Rendering compatibility improvements regarding OpenGL.

Bug fixes
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! Thanks Andy.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    kickin ass! can't wait to give it a whirl :D
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Been using this lately at work. Really enjoying how quick it can create maps we need for many different elements of our workflow.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Love the new update.

Any needs on world space normal maps for input ?

Also could you make the mesh AO active without needing normal maps ? I just add some random texture to be able to bake AO in Knald for low poly mesh (like in simple AO in xNormal). Would be cool to be able to create AO maps for low poly models without normals.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff.

Tiiiny UI bug - the "Flip Green" in the Main and Preferences tab don't update each other. Enable it in one, and it stays disabled in the other and vice versa.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey! I updated to the new build and now it asks for license again, but the website is in maintenance mode and pasting the old license code does not work.

any ETA on the maintenance?

Thanks for this awesome tool.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    78 minutes for an AO ? o_O
    In which softwares did you baked it ? The comparison doesn't sound fair here.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    Froyok wrote: »

for a 8k map and over 6 mil. tris, 78 minutes doesn't sound that unreasonable to me ...
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me, either.

Just tried in modo rendering an 8k output (which includes world space normals, ambient occlusion, specular occlusion, surface ID and some gradient/incidence maps) took 2 minutes and 1.3 seconds.

And the HP mesh is around 12 million polys total.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    It easily takes me 2-3 hours to render out ao maps in xnormal using default renderer, 8192 map size, 2-4x anti-aliasing, 600+ rays and hp meshs with 10 million plus polies.

That's with a i5 2500k unlocked cpu overclocked to 4.6, 8 gigs of ram, 660 gtx 2gigs vram on a asrock extreme6 mobo. Can't use the gpu renderer in latest xnormal build, always locksup on any mesh so I use the older builds for that.

I'l' try knald again with the newest improvements on ao.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Just to let you know that the website maintenance is all done now so everything should be working again :)
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks Andy.
    No problem!
    kickin ass! can't wait to give it a whirl
    :D It would be great to hear what you think!
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    Been using this lately at work. Really enjoying how quick it can create maps we need for many different elements of our workflow.

Great! :D Thanks for the support!
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Love the new update.

Any needs on world space normal maps for input ?

Also could you make the mesh AO active without needing normal maps ? I just add some random texture to be able to bake AO in Knald for low poly mesh (like in simple AO in xNormal). Would be cool to be able to create AO maps for low poly models without normals.
    Thanks, man!
    I will see what I can do on both fronts. :)
    Awesome stuff.

Tiiiny UI bug - the "Flip Green" in the Main and Preferences tab don't update each other. Enable it in one, and it stays disabled in the other and vice versa.
    Thanks, man!

Thats not actually a bug. The flip green in the prefernces is a persistent option that is saved session to session, which should also change the flip green in the main tab when you check it in the preferences.

The flip green in the main tab on the other hand is a session only option and is not persistent. It will not change the flip green in the preferences.

Basically if you want to use flip green all the time just check it in the preferences and save. If you want to just use flip green for one or two maps during your current session you should check it in the main tab. :)

Hope that makes sense.
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Hey! I updated to the new build and now it asks for license again, but the website is in maintenance mode and pasting the old license code does not work.

any ETA on the maintenance?

Thanks for this awesome tool.
    Everything should be working again now :) Thanks for your patience!
    Froyok wrote: »
    Treboras wrote: »
    for a 8k map and over 6 mil. tris, 78 minutes doesn't sound that unreasonable to me ...
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me, either.

Just tried in modo rendering an 8k output (which includes world space normals, ambient occlusion, specular occlusion, surface ID and some gradient/incidence maps) took 2 minutes and 1.3 seconds.

And the HP mesh is around 12 million polys total.
    Bubba91873 wrote: »
    It easily takes me 2-3 hours to render out ao maps in xnormal using default renderer, 8192 map size, 2-4x anti-aliasing, 600+ rays and hp meshs with 10 million plus polies.

That's with a i5 2500k unlocked cpu overclocked to 4.6, 8 gigs of ram, 660 gtx 2gigs vram on a asrock extreme6 mobo. Can't use the gpu renderer in latest xnormal build, always locksup on any mesh so I use the older builds for that.

I'l' try knald again with the newest improvements on ao.

Hey guys,

Regarding the AO bake times. It is not our intention to fudge the numbers and we are trying to be as honest as we can here. I checked the times again and you were right that there was an error but it it was in the other direction. Bakes of this size and rays counts actually take hours and hours and much longer than the previous time that we initially stated. As such we decided to make a more direct comparison with a GPU bake vs Knald Mesh AO.

It is never our intention to misrepresent the performance of Knald, and we apologize for any confusion created by the mistake

Cheers!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the latest build is great, unfortunately it only give me height map. all otehr maps are complete black.

the issue is only on my AMD Firepro card but my older Geforce card works fine for all maps.

its a shame that Firepro isnt working with this properly since OpenCL is very fast on this card along with other 3d apps.

is there any chance you could figure out the issue by testing on a cheaper Firepro card ?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    MM wrote: »
    the latest build is great, unfortunately it only give me height map. all otehr maps are complete black.

the issue is only on my AMD Firepro card but my older Geforce card works fine for all maps.

its a shame that Firepro isnt working with this properly since OpenCL is very fast on this card along with other 3d apps.

is there any chance you could figure out the issue by testing on a cheaper Firepro card ?

sent you a mail :)
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I'm getting some really weird results when baking maps. Everything was fine before, but now it produces stark contrasted black and white maps. The previewer in the program looks fine, it's just not baking the maps right. I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 5870 if that makes a difference.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Im also getting weird result with the latest knald build. Loading a 8k normal map comes up as either a pink or black screen in knald. No error message.
    Thought at first maybe its just needs time to load so waited 10 mins to see. Installed and reinstalled program.
    Lower rez maps worked as expected.

Made sure to kill all unneeded programs in background too.

Specs:
    Win 8 64 bit
    EVGA 660 gtx 2gigs vram
    8 gigs of ram
    350 gigs free hd space
    Latest Nvidia beta driver 326.80
    total available graphics memory 4096
    no problems reported in dxdiag

normal map format is .tif 16 bit. Can load the normal map in photoshop, irfanview with no problem.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Sorry for the late replies!
    mospheric wrote: »
    I'm getting some really weird results when baking maps. Everything was fine before, but now it produces stark contrasted black and white maps. The previewer in the program looks fine, it's just not baking the maps right. I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 5870 if that makes a difference.
    Thanks for the info. We are currently investigating this issue. Hopefully we will have a fix soon. :)
    Im also getting weird result with the latest knald build. Loading a 8k normal map comes up as either a pink or black screen in knald. No error message.
    Thought at first maybe its just needs time to load so waited 10 mins to see. Installed and reinstalled program.
    Lower rez maps worked as expected.

Made sure to kill all unneeded programs in background too.

Specs:
    Win 8 64 bit
    EVGA 660 gtx 2gigs vram
    8 gigs of ram
    350 gigs free hd space
    Latest Nvidia beta driver 326.80
    total available graphics memory 4096
    no problems reported in dxdiag

normal map format is .tif 16 bit. Can load the normal map in photoshop, irfanview with no problem.

It sounds like you are running out of VRAM. 8k maps require at least 3.5GB and we recommend 4GB for best performance.

Can you confirm that 4k maps work ok?

Cheers!
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Yes Metalliandy 4k maps and below work fine for me.
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    Small feature request: you could add drag and drop for importing? Sometimes it's faster then browsing files via "open" from various folders.
  • fisj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8k map support just made this an instant "buy" for when it goes commercial. Thank you!

1) I'd like to throw in a +1 for command line options, this would be a great time saver.
    2) If possible I'd like to see .PSD format support for import and exporting.

Great application, keep it up!
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any idea when a new version is coming up to fix the issues with exporting maps?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Yes Metalliandy 4k maps and below work fine for me.
    Sorry for the late reply. Yea, this definitely sounds like a memory issue. To use 8k maps you would need to get a card with more VRAM unfortunately.
    Adij wrote: »
    Small feature request: you could add drag and drop for importing? Sometimes it's faster then browsing files via "open" from various folders.
    Sure thing! I will see what I can do :)
    fisj wrote: »
    8k map support just made this an instant "buy" for when it goes commercial. Thank you!

1) I'd like to throw in a +1 for command line options, this would be a great time saver.
    2) If possible I'd like to see .PSD format support for import and exporting.

Great application, keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words! :)
    You can already import PSD via the All files *.* selection in the file type dropdown when you load an image. We will be adding export as soon as we can.
    I will see what I can do about the cmd line stuff too.
    mospheric wrote: »
    any idea when a new version is coming up to fix the issues with exporting maps?

Unfortuantly we are having some serious problems on AMD cards at the moment, but we are working on it and hope to have a fix soon.

The last 32bit release of Knald doesn't have the export error will still work if you have a copy of that around. I will try to get a link for that build for AMD users to use while we try to find a solution.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last 32bit release of Knald doesn't have the export error will still work if you have a copy of that around. I will try to get a link for that build for AMD users to use while we try to find a solution.

That would be mighty useful! Appreciate the work you are doing.
  • Msansook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just downloading a few moments ago. Pretty excited to give this program a try!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,

Here is the link to the last 32bit release for AMD users who are currently having problems with Knald.
    https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/knalduswest/legacy/Knald+Setup+-+20130609001.exe

Please be aware that this build does not contain the improvements found in the latest official 64bit build such as the integration speed-ups, the transmission maps and the new mesh ao etc. and should only be used if you are having issues with your AMD card. Nvida users do not need to use this version.

Cheers!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Andy!
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all. Have a question and excuse my noobyness in this matter.
    I'm reading the topic and people mostly mention 4K+ maps. How about small size stuff to make game ready textures? Is Knald suitable for game texturing or for heavy stuff?

Cheers
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @Bek & mospheric, No worries, guys. :)

@Visum, Knald is perfectly capable of working with any size texture that you might want to use as long as you have enough VRAM on your GPU. The reason many people are mentioning 4k+ maps is that this is most likely the limit that many GPUs have currently as it take around 1gb of VRAM to process.
    Smaller textures take much less VRAM and time to process than larger textures so you shouldn't have any problems. :)
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    @Bek & mospheric, No worries, guys. :)

@Visum, Knald is perfectly capable of working with any size texture that you might want to use as long as you have enough VRAM on your GPU. The reason many people are mentioning 4k+ maps is that this is most likely the limit that many GPUs have currently as it take around 1gb of VRAM to process.
    Smaller textures take much less VRAM and time to process than larger textures so you shouldn't have any problems. :)

Cheers.
    I'm going to give it a go.

PS. I'm trying to find some info about price when released? Any guesstimate on that? I don't want to get attached to something I can't afford in the end :)
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Knald and Ndo2 in my workflow. Really love the software!

Originally I thought, I'd only use it to create quick versions of AO, Cavity and Convexity, because the quality is supposedly always better when you bake those maps in a 3D program. However, I find the quality of the Knald maps more than sufficient and I love how fast it is.

There was an update a few weeks ago and their license servers were down for the better part of a day. So I couldn't use Knald and became quickly aware of how much I miss it. I hope this software will come at an affordable price, too.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Hello guys is it still possible to get 32bit version of Knald since I had to install 32bit windows :(.

EDIT

Found the link!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    wow this is fantastic software.

this is exactly what I want out of automatic map software.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    haha yeah this seems useful, but i can't seem to load anything larger than a 512x512 texture ans have it process, so I can't use it in my workflow :[

i'm sure it's because i have a Nvidia GTX 460 SE, but if anyone else is running a similar turd they probably can't expect to get much outta this unfortunately :(

unless it's user error, which is entirely possible
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Every map I try to export except normal and height turn out black and white, with errors, didnt happen before, whats up?

I updated the drivers and I have Nvidia 331.40 beta version, I think.

The problem is because of the drivers or?

Thanks!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,
    Sorry for the late replies!
    Visum wrote: »
    Cheers.
    I'm going to give it a go.

PS. I'm trying to find some info about price when released? Any guesstimate on that? I don't want to get attached to something I can't afford in the end :)
    Sorry, no word on the price yet. :(
    Sinking wrote: »
    I use Knald and Ndo2 in my workflow. Really love the software!

Originally I thought, I'd only use it to create quick versions of AO, Cavity and Convexity, because the quality is supposedly always better when you bake those maps in a 3D program. However, I find the quality of the Knald maps more than sufficient and I love how fast it is.

There was an update a few weeks ago and their license servers were down for the better part of a day. So I couldn't use Knald and became quickly aware of how much I miss it. I hope this software will come at an affordable price, too.

wow this is fantastic software.

this is exactly what I want out of automatic map software.
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm really happy that you are enjoying Knald :D
    haha yeah this seems useful, but i can't seem to load anything larger than a 512x512 texture ans have it process, so I can't use it in my workflow :[

i'm sure it's because i have a Nvidia GTX 460 SE, but if anyone else is running a similar turd they probably can't expect to get much outta this unfortunately :(

This looks like it is down to the amount of VRAM that you have on your card. How much do you have?
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Every map I try to export except normal and height turn out black and white, with errors, didnt happen before, whats up?

I updated the drivers and I have Nvidia 331.40 beta version, I think.

The problem is because of the drivers or?

Thanks!

Yes, the most recent beta drivers cause Knald to export the maps incorrectly. We will have a fix for this over the next few days hopefully. :)
  • StK Uriziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I have gtx460 1gb and work good, if you can't load larger map you must turn down application that takes vram (marmoset, game editor ect.). I can load 2k 16bit tiff and work, but I must turn down marmoset.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    For some odd reason Knald is using "Advanced Micro Devices Inc - Juniper" instead of "AuthenticAMD - AMD Phenom(tm) IIX4 810 Processor" OpenCL Device. How do I get it to use the ladder because that has double precision support.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, the most recent beta drivers cause Knald to export the maps incorrectly. We will have a fix for this over the next few days hopefully. :)

Any word on a fix? I'm having a nasty time right now because I need the latest drivers for my GTX 650 for stability reasons, but Knald just keeps spitting out bad Concavity/Convexity maps.
  • cgilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi There!

We are prepping a new beta now with a ton of fixes - including the flipped map issue.

Stay tuned...

Thanks!
    Chris Gilbert
    Knald Technologies
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    What are the setting for obj export from Max into knald? Is there a button I missed to make preview window zoom out (or in) to entire object? I.E. possibly obj import too small or large?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey everyone,

Time for a new build! :D

You can get it via the updater when you start Knald, or go to https://www.knaldtech.com/get-knald/

We have made quite a few changes to this build and fixed a number of bugs!.

New & improved ColorToNormal Mode!

As of this release Knald has an entirely new algorithm for ColorToNormal mode which has resulted in significant improvements to the responsiveness and quality of the mode. Maps are now more vibrant & the sliders now work much better in relation to one another.

Both maps in the example below are using exactly the same slider settings and bumpscale

before_after.gif

Transmission Map Improvements

Added quality improvements to Transmission where open meshes are automatically capped before rendering. This will mean there is no need to paint out these areas as was the case previously.

transmission_capped.jpg
    Art courtesy of Dan Roarty

In addition to the above we have also added support for .fbx, Anisotropic filtering & mesh panning in the 3d preview! :D

Have fun, enjoy the new build and please keep up the amazing work that you have all been doing over the past few months! We love your feedback!

Release notes:
    Build Number: 20131029002 - October 29th, 2013.

Knald Technologies is now on Facebook and Twitter! Like us on Facebook Here & Add us on Twitter Here.

New Features, Improvements and Optimizations
    • Made significant improvements to the responsiveness and quality of ColorToNormal mode. Maps are now more vibrant & the sliders now work much better in relation to one another.
    • Added quality improvements to Transmission where open meshes are automatically capped before rendering. This will mean there is no need to paint out these areas as was the case previously.
    • The FBX (.fbx) file format is now supported in the 3d preview.
    • Panning of imported meshes (.obj/.fbx) is now available in the 3d preview. Press and hold MMB to pan meshes.
    • Anisotropic filtering has been added in the 3d preview.
    • Improved startup performance in cases when there is no network connection.
    • Improved rendering responsiveness.
    • Miscellaneous performance improvements.

Bug fixes
    • Fixed various issues where textures exported incorrectly on AMD and nVidia GPUs with some drivers.
    • Fixed bug where MeshAO couldn't be activated after loading a heightmap.
    • Implemented workaround for OpenCL initialization issue on nVidia GPUs with drivers prior to 320.18.
    • Fixed various installer issues.
    • Various fixes for high DPI displays.
    • Fixed various UI bugs.
    • Fixed various 3d preview bugs.
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    oXYnary wrote: »
    What are the setting for obj export from Max into knald? Is there a button I missed to make preview window zoom out (or in) to entire object? I.E. possibly obj import too small or large?
    Could it be that your meshes origin is not in the centre of the mesh itself?
    We just added panning to the meshes so try holding mmb and dragging in the 3d preview to see if your mesh appears. The only other option we have is in the prefs is where you can change between Z and Y for up.

Let me know if you find out what the issue is, mate.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hey Andy,

You might recall I mentioned in the hangouts that Knald + AMD 13.10beta drivers cause a system crash when using the AO intensity slider—this still occurs in this new build of knald. It's 100% repeatable—I just load a normal map, fiddle with the AO slider for a few seconds and then I have to hard restart. Admittedly I haven't checked if this only happens with some normal maps / file types. There's also some strangeness going on with importing normal maps. Again this is probably because of the beta drivers, for memory everything was fine under 13.9. This is with a 7870. Exporting is definitely fixed though.

Are there any other AMD users using the beta drivers, and if so do you have this issue? How about 13.11beta? I can try that next, otherwise I'll rollback to 13.9.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    @ Bek, build 20131029002 works fine on my machine. i am using AMD Firepro W7000 and driver version 12.104.2-130529a-159724C-Retail. if you are referring to the AO scale slider, it also works fine on my end.
    btw, regarding the strangeness you mention i believe it is the way Knald works. it process the normal map itself so if you start with a normal map then it should be given that you already have a working normal map and rest of the maps are what you need from Knald. it would be redundant to get a normal map out of normal map unless you are trying to do something else altogether.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    But then the other maps are based off an incorrect normal map (So wouldn't the derivative map be useless, at least from nm's baked from a high to low?)—If I recall correctly, previously I didn't get such strange results. In fact, I can look at my old exported height/convexity maps from this particular NM and see that it's different. (Unless I'm going crazy. I'll confirm when I rollback to 13.9 release)

Here's what the Knald previewer shows, hopefully this makes the problem more obvious

Surely that isn't what you'd expect from this nm (the raised edges / sunken flat areas). If it's giving anyone else the same result then it's not my end and I'm entirely mistaken.

Oh and yes, I did mean to say the AO scale rather than intensity. That's definitely a beta driver issue.

edit: Okay, I rolled back to 13.9 and the AO scale slider now works without crashing. Yay! If anyone is brave enough to test 13.11beta I'd love to know how that goes. And you were right MM, I get those same results—I think what I must have done previously is use the heightmap from Zbrush instead of the normal, which obviously gives better results in the Knald previewer... so I'm just an idiot :thumbup:

edit x2: Okay, I lied. Just crashed again, this time with a colour2normal map rather than an inputted normal/height map. Very strange. I was able to drag the slider to all sorts of numbers before it finally gave in. Also, am I again remembering incorrectly or is the result of a normal map after integrating from an image meant to be drastically different from the preview? I was just mucking around then and the resulting normal map was not even close to the preview.

Here's the preview and here's the integrated result. Am I misunderstanding Knald or are the sliders incorrectly affected the integrated result more than in the preview?
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    metalliandy: Thanks for the update! I couldn't render anything but the heightmaps beforehand.