Home Technical Talk

UDK Landscape Material Artifacts

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
paradoxical-pixel polycounter lvl 10
Hey Polycount,

I'm currently having a lot of trouble getting my landscape material to render correctly in UDK. I have attached a screenshot of the white/black artifacts that appear when I try to paint onto any layer other than 'Grass.'

terrain_material_problem.jpg

I am not sure if this is a hardware issue with my Radeon HD 7950 or a material compilation error - although I suspect it is the latter.

In any case, I am sure that I will eventually find a way to resolve the issue. What concerns me more is the texture sampler limit. The material currently has 53 vertex shader instructions and 11/12 texture samplers, and I believe this may relate to the rendering issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a convenient hack for getting around the texture sampler limit? Any enlightenment would be vastly appreciated. :)

Cheers. :thumbup:

Replies

• spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I think it has everything to do with UDK's horrible Terrain and Landscape editors. Just my $.02. UDK gives me so many headaches when I need to use it for school. I love the final results I see by seasoned vets, but I'm not one and that program kills me. Good luck though figuring it out.