Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tech Art - Rigging and Python Demo Reel

Here is my 2013 Demo Reel for Tech art and Python Tool Development. Please critique to your hearts content!

https://vimeo.com/62499875

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    nice! I like watching tech artist reels. I was a bit confused on the last portion, it looked like some custom script where you place sort of curve locators and it automatically makes the bones and such or something? Maybe tech artist would understand but I didn't really get it. Maybe a very short description at the bottom would clear things up, at least for me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    A few things.

Your intro is way too long. I know you`re trying to go for the beat of the music, but its too long. Single title card. dont wait to phase stuff into the shot. show you`re name and contact info, and get to the meat of it.

Second, your first 2 rigs, it really isnt showing off what you can do with a rig. It's showing more of an animation side of it. Hey, i can animate this. Here are the controls. But, really, you dont need that stuff. You need more like the lion. Where you go through and show what your rig can do, piece by piece.

The lion shot, everything goes so fast, that you really need to put an overlay at the bottom that labels what you do. Stretchy IK, fk/ik matching, that sort of stuff. Same with your custom script. You need to explain it with an overlay of what you`re doing. For an example of this. Check out Jeremy Ernsts Reel. It really shows what a professional reel should look like.

I think if you do some of these fixes, you really could have a great reel. Just needs some touching up.