Home Technical Talk

Zbrush loading problem

Hey guys,

I am facing this weird problem in zbrush. I recently made a model in Maya and imported it to zbrush for further detailing (15 subtools). I detailed it and kept saving the .zpr files in the numbered format after each step (like project01.zpr, project02.zp .... ). I reached upto step 3 and then i started polypainting on the model. After a good deal of polypainting, I saved the file as project04.zpr and went off to sleep for the day. Next morning, i decided to continue working and opened the project04.zpr by going to File--->Open. What I saw was that none of the subtools were loaded. Only all the separate parts were there in the Tool palette in their lowest levels (like how i exported them from Maya) and all the sculpted details and polypaint details are simply gone. The whole thing looked like I just opened a new zbrush project and just imported all the subtools from Maya. Then i tried opening project03.zpr and it loaded without any issue. I did a lot of polypaint, cant redo it again. What can be the problem? I seriously need help on this issue.

I am using Zbrush4R4 and I had 20.3 million points in total in zbrush. My sustem is an AMD quad core, with 8GB RAM and Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512MB gfx card. Please help...

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Did the undo history suggest you could go forward any? It might be too late now, but in the future make sure to save the ZTool as well (and only use projects if there's something about the extra data that you need). If it were R5 you might have some luck checking the quicksave folder, but with R4 this option doesn't exist.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Did the undo history suggest you could go forward any? It might be too late now, but in the future make sure to save the ZTool as well (and only use projects if there's something about the extra data that you need). If it were R5 you might have some luck checking the quicksave folder, but with R4 this option doesn't exist.

I didnt save undo history. Doing all that polypaint again from scratch sounds really frustrating. Anyway, can you tell me the difference between saving a .zbr project and .ztl???
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Anyway, can you tell me the difference between saving a .zbr project and .ztl???
    The ztool is the pure model data (the tool, subtools, polygroups, polypaint, layers, UVs, etc). If all you are doing is sculpting, then this is all you need.

The project includes just about everything (document settings, render settings, light settings, timeline settings, undo history, etc). It can include every loaded tool (and not just the actively displayed one), which means the project file can bloat in file size pretty quickly. It's generally advisable to only save projects if there is something specifically in the project that you need. And while it is supposed to save all the tools, one of my first experiences with it gave me the impression that it's worth saving tools separately either way.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ztool is the pure model data (the tool, subtools, polygroups, polypaint, layers, UVs, etc). If all you are doing is sculpting, then this is all you need.

The project includes just about everything (document settings, render settings, light settings, timeline settings, undo history, etc). It can include every loaded tool (and not just the actively displayed one), which means the project file can bloat in file size pretty quickly. It's generally advisable to only save projects if there is something specifically in the project that you need. And while it is supposed to save all the tools, one of my first experiences with it gave me the impression that it's worth saving tools separately either way.

Thanks a lot Cryrid... Well this experience also taught me to save as .ztl either way. :P Another question, is there any script or something which automates the process of saving .ztl files? Or do I have to save each and every subtool manually? Actually I never used this .ztl saving, every time I did something, I used to save as .zbr.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Each tool has to be saved individually, but saving a tool also includes all of that tool's subtools.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each tool has to be saved individually, but saving a tool also includes all of that tool's subtools.

Yeah. Thanks for the help Cryrid. :-)
  • CGJohnCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SamFisher45 I had the same problem, I could not get it out of draw mode. I clicked on simple brush and drew out another tool hit edit. After I rotated it around a bit I selected my tool and it worked. This has happened to me a couple of time already. I did save it out as a zpr file.
  • StrobFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrobFX null
    For those still having this problem, relax your work is not lost. You click any tool and stay over it and look in the pop up window in the 3D meshes section. There is probably your right tool over there with all your work hidden from you for I don't know what reason!
  • Endcar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endcar polycounter lvl 5
    Didn't work had to look at a folder.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    In general .zpr files are a problem once they reach 5Gig. Not saving the history, layers, morphs etc helps keep the file size down, but not forever. For me .zpr was most useful for loading the canvas settings along with the model. Now I have a simple .zpr file with the right settings and a simple dynamesh sphere. Just load that .zpr and then the model I am working on into that scene. I havent yet found a solution for the .zpr bloat problem, but until then, this workaround works ok.

Cheerio
  • BC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BC3D polycounter lvl 10
    @StrobFX I just wanted to say a VERY LOUD THANK YOU!! I thought I was doomed here at work. I normally save ZTLs, but have been needing to save ZPR for something, and your fix saved what I thought was a totally corrupted file. Many many many thanks! (and cool ladybug model)

StrobFX said:
    For those still having this problem, relax your work is not lost. You click any tool and stay over it and look in the pop up window in the 3D meshes section. There is probably your right tool over there with all your work hidden from you for I don't know what reason!

• CG_Realism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello Hello, Recently had kind of the same issue, i deleted all the Quicksaves and was left with the original file and and had the same error " Error reading internal memory " but the issue was as soon as the error is gone, Zbrush closes. So what i did was to open my Zbrush normal and didn't open the zpr file ( Original ) then imported the tool ( Subtools ) from the original one. Drag it in the Viewport and click on edit. You will have everything back even the Subdivision, undo histories, etc...Hope this also help