Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blackbird-Super Extravagant Hero of Awesome

Hey guys, this is one of the few characters I've ever done and I just got it to what I thought would be okay to post. I would love to hear any and all crits or suggestions. I've been 3d art for about a year now and it's been tough getting off the ground. Thank you!

(PS: First project I've ever posted anywhere yay!)

Presentation
tumblr_mkizpik1Ms1ru5rr7o2_1280.jpg
Just a picture
tumblr_mkizpik1Ms1ru5rr7o3_1280.jpg
HP model
tumblr_mkizpik1Ms1ru5rr7o4_1280.jpg
Closeups
tumblr_mkizpik1Ms1ru5rr7o5_1280.jpg
Closeup Wireframes
tumblr_mkizpik1Ms1ru5rr7o1_1280.jpg

Any and all suggestions wanted/needed/would be nice/maybe?/please?

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I think he needs some more coverage. If you know what I mean.

Condorman.jpg
  • Fisty
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    I like his bulge
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Here's my suggestions for you:
    - Push the silhouette more. Right now he could just as well be nude with a cape as basically nothing is sticking out. I think you should exaggerate the trims of the boots and gloves.
    - Optimize the UV-layout. It looks like you're wasting a lot of space on the unwrap so try to pack it tighter.
    - Grime him up. It doesn't look like he's got any sort of wear or grime so he looks a bit boring.
    - Crop out most of the unused space from the pictures and capture them in a higher resolution as it's hard to see anything.
    - The details on the hands could just as well be simulated with the normalmap which would save you a bunch of polys.

To be honest the character looks a bit boring conceptually as well, but I don't really know how to fix that.
  • mr grimm
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, he has a one pointy cup on. At least I think he's wearing a cup.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    He looks pretty plain, so I don't know what to say. If you plan on keeping him this way, then I would suggest improving the material definition at least so rubber reads like rubber and leather reads like leather.

Also, you specular seems a tad off? I thought that the red stripe at first was supposed to be paint or a strip of rubber plastic, which is wrapped in film, but looking at your spec, you have a yellow tint? I'm not see the effect too well, and you most likely should instead try experimenting in the color white or cyan instead.

Again, you could make the model more interesting, but I personally like it since it reminds me of Bad-Ass really, and there is nothing wrong with that, maybe adding some little padding here and there, like his groin, knees, etc will make him more functional, but if you're keeping him on this basis, then I really do suggest you improve the textures and material definition.

Also, try applying some SSS to his mouth, so that it doesn't read samey.