Home Unreal Engine

Interiors too dark

haarp
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haarp polycounter lvl 8
Ever since I turned off bcastdynamicshadows on the terrain my interiors and posters(decals custom images) are very very dark.

I then copied and pasted a postprocess from another map which lit up the inside a bit but it's still not like it used to be.

I'm using a dominant light

Decals inside house
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/5396/57812975.jpg

Room with postprocess that helped light the interior previously
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/5065/50978482.jpg

Another room with the same postprocess that seems to have worked
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/5900/51321488.jpg

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it is PP, that is easy to test also if you temp restore default PP settings (make new PP volume over level).

Need more info on how you've set up the lighting. Is this started out from the default level templates? What happens if you re enable cast dyn shadows? If a pointlight is placed inside, does that light it up? Sky has no shadow cast I hope?
    Go through step by step.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    The PP volume is just a small volume over parts of the building (not all one volume but split up into segments).

Sky has ticked:

cast dynamic overried
    castdynamicshadow
    buse computed shadows

Dominant directional light has:

baffect composite shadow direction
    bcast composite shadow
    bcast dynamic shadows
    cast shadows
    cast static shadows

This is what I did:

I copied and pasted the entire house model from another map, PP volumes included. It lit up fine inside the editor however I realized recently that there are not shadows inside the editor and managed to cook my map and try it in-game and the shadows take over decals that are inside and also the interiors of buildings.

It's not just that house it's all of them are quite dark inside. It's a shadow setting somewhere that's too much.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    An update

Someone told me to use a dominant directional light instead of dominant directional light moveable. The lighting problem seems to have cleared up BUT it caused my map to go from 380mb uncooked to 850mb..... what could cause this?

I deleted my old light, saved, added new one and built lighting.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure sky has CastShadow false. Usually also AcceptLights, though it depends on your material.

Do not use the moveable one indeed. That one does not create lightmaps I believe, thus that is your difference in size. Lightmaps. The moveable one also does not create bounced lighting.

850 MB is huge for a level. The biggest level I ever made is 200 MB. Check your lightmap density and resolution throughout. Scale it down where possible, like far away objects.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    I lowered the lightres on all items and it's now 561mb so still not ideal but I don't know what else I can do to lower the size.

Sky has no lighting or shadows selected like you said.