Home Unreal Engine

Obscura's random questions about UDK

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hi.I made this thread to not spam a new thread always when i have question about something...

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You need to use custom lighting for that, also, don't forget to Constant Clamp the Lambert term ;P

I remember asking the same question, and Jordan (one of them Epic artist peeps) told me in the thread that using Diffuse directly is showing off all the information, even those you don't need since it's already the diffuse term.

I think you should stick it into it into Custom Light? And then stick the base texture into Diffuse, so the detail should overlay nicely, or was it the other way around?

Sorry, don't recall exactly, but that should get you started, I can try remaking the effect later, but yeah, this is generally how you would it since you need your own Ambient information to be recreated.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much! Working fine. Now i added "custom diffusemap" (temporarily its just a color) with shading and working nicely too.
    aotestv3.jpg

I cant wait to try this in a complete scene :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to get real time reflections without scenecapture actor? Any material trick or something?
    I found this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115711&highlight=fresnel+reflection
    And if i understood right, it reads from the scenetexture (but as i know, only translucent materials can read from the scenetexture). I looking for something similar to this, but something what would looks nice on flat surfaces too. Because i want to make a physically based material with real time reflection, without any cubemap.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    Is there any way to get real time reflections without scenecapture actor? Any material trick or something?
    I found this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115711&highlight=fresnel+reflection
    And if i understood right, it reads from the scenetexture (but as i know, only translucent materials can read from the scenetexture). I looking for something similar to this, but something what would looks nice on flat surfaces too. Because i want to make a physically based material with real time reflection, without any cubemap.

Yes, if you use screen based reflections. Easiest way to get proper reflections is of course render to texture, but if you're concerned about the performance but still want somewhat realistic reflections screen based reflections is probably the best way to do that.