Home Technical Talk

controling vray material's subd

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
4evra polycounter lvl 4
Just started looking into vray,its rendering and stuff.
My configuration is not for 3d and long renders,its rather old (2gbs or ram,4800+,blabla).
Anyway,i got the Vray set up on my scene,it does it job.
I placed 2 vray lights from both sides,and i saw that configuring lights subd affects render times and final quality(clearly :)).
So,in previews i used a subd 1,just to check if there's a bad shadowing or something.After i checked that,i went into incresing it to about 50,then rendering textures.

Now,my 512x texture still gets a bit of grains on it.
Its not a shadow parts,its on material direcly exposed to lights.
So,it's safe to assume that the problem lies in material itself,rather than lights(since i set the light's subd high enough).

I've been reading some stuff online about subd control on vray material.There is a lot of mentioning of it.From what i saw in material options,it is related to subd's of material's reflection and refraction.

BUT,my material is a solid color texture,with black reflection and refraction,so the material shouldn't benefit from those subd's,right?
Or should it?
I get it that every material refrects/retracts light,but i'm not sure if i need to chance from black to grayish for the effect to actually set in and make the subd changes matter?

And i guess its better to set solid color from max,rather than importing a solid color texture?I would apprectiate some advices/opinions on that one too.

Cheers