Home Technical Talk

3ds Max smooth/wireframe and lock noob questions

Who
I don't really know much about 3d modelling. I tried different software ages ago and 3ds max was the only one that I could use to create models without reading anything or using tutorials. I got 3ds max 2011 long time ago but haven't really done anything with it until now.

What
After spending way too much time to figure out how to create custom clothes for daz3d, I'm finally almost ready to go. I got basic human figure on 3ds max. Now I need to create clothes around that human 3d model. I'm still not entirely sure what kind of model it needs to be but I believe it's not a solid "block". I got a few questions I need answers for and I don't feel like reading the bible manual to find them. I will learn the rest by using the program.

The Questions
1. Is it possible to make the human model to look solid/smooth while the clothes look wireframe? If not, can I change the color of the human wireframes?

2. I locked/froze the human model. Does that mean I can now freely start creating clothes around his body and later, select the human body only and delete it so I can save the clothes only?

Yeah, pretty noob questions. Most answers are easy to find with google but those were hard to search. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hi
    1.yes, add a material to the cloth, and check wireframe in the material editor to this material(i think this somewhere on the top of the parameters).
    2. This is not important, you can edit only the clothes without freezing the body.
  • Maldos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers. The second one doesn't make much sense to me, could you word it differently please? The human model is only a "doll" so I can fit the clothes that I create. What do you mean that I can only edit the clothes even if I don't freeze the human?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i mean it doesnt matter that its freezed or not.also you can hide them instead of freezing.
  • Maldos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if I hide it, I can't see it right?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, than you cant see.anyway, if you leave them unhided and unfreezed, you can edit the other object without without changing this.so i cant really understant why you freeze it.
  • Maldos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely do NOT want to modify the human body. That is why I want to freeze it. I HAVE TO see it or else I can't create the clothes.

Think about it this way: Someone has a real life doll. He creates clothes that fit the doll. After the clothes are done, he throws the doll away.

The clothes model is NOT part of the human body model. Human body model is only used as a... model.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know i just saying if there are 2 separated mesh, and if you start modifying one of these, and you dont freeze the other, nothing will changing at the second(on what you want to freeze).You dont need to freeze it.