Home General Discussion

Mudbox 2014

Replies

• Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Pior,

Thanks for doing this, I have send you an e-mail with the model shown in the image.
    I also checked on another PC with Mudbox 2013, and I'm getting the same problem.
    Like Oglu suggested I checked the models size against the default head, and the pieces are extremely small.

But i've worked at this resolution for years 1 unit in maya is 1 cm, and never experienced this problem before.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I've been wondering is it possible to create a stamp that has a push and pull effect, instead of just doing one direction. I notice that wherever the stamp is black it keeps the surface flat. But in zbrush i believe black pushes down and white pushes up? I find it kinda strange that mudbox is different.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    I've been wondering is it possible to create a stamp that has a push and pull effect, instead of just doing one direction. I notice that wherever the stamp is black it keeps the surface flat. But in zbrush i believe black pushes down and white pushes up? I find it kinda strange that mudbox is different.

yes it is possible. you will need a HDR file for that. creating a custom HDR in photoshop does not always work but i found the convertPSD tool from Surface Mimic to be perfect for this use. just make a PSD file in photoshop with black, 50% grey and white for your stamp and make sure you are in greyscale 16bits/channel mode.
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    I just wanted to post my findings and the workaround for the problem I had earlier.

So it seems the noise is being caused by working at small scene sizes.

Pior did some tests with my model, and found that if you work at a scale 100x as big the problem doesn't happen.

I replicated the scale on my local machine, and the problem still persisted. But when using the send to maya/ send to mudbox buttons I get clean results.

So if any of you are experiencing the same problem of obj's with artifacts this is the workaround : Use send to maya and export the obj from maya, this will give you clean files.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM: I apologize for not thanking you sooner for the tip on Stamps/Stencil. Also I want to take this chance to thank Gray and Oglu! You guys been very helpful.

In regards to Stencils. I would like to post my recent findings on this subject. While reading through the Mudbox help file, I found that setting the Offset properties on the Stencil to 0.5 will allow the blacks to push in and whites to push up.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    In regards to Stencils. I would like to post my recent findings on this subject. While reading through the Mudbox help file, I found that setting the Offset properties on the Stencil to 0.5 will allow the blacks to push in and whites to push up.

yea stencils have had that offset option for a while now, but i thought you were asking about stamps. do stamps have that option now ?

i never bothered to upgrade to Mudbox 2014 so i dont know if that feature was added. in 2011 i still have to go through the process i mentioned above to create stamps with push+pull effect. it would be great to have an offset option for stamps if it isnt added yet.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    has someone tested the mudbox extension with one of the tablets..?
    its now supporting intel HD graphic chips...
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Subscription, or is there an update specifically for using HD chips?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    subscription only...
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM: nope the stamps dont have that option unfortunately. Sry for the confusion
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    oglu wrote: »
    has someone tested the mudbox extension with one of the tablets..?
    its now supporting intel HD graphic chips...

Is this true? Is mudbox able to handle support lower end graphics cards now? If so that would be awesome.
  • oglu
  • Colnix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colnix polycounter lvl 4
    hello everyone,
    i been having some problems with Gigatexel if i turn it off some meshes got freezed i cant paint on them still i can model.

and if i turn it on its a nightmare :(.

i am with several meshes in the scene and many materials also.

does anyone encounter this problem.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are sure the texture tiles are loaded on the frozen objects? if not try putting the mouse cursor on the frozen object and press up arrow key. If you machine is decent you can try ctrl + up arrow key which loads all the texture tiles.
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    I am working in a very heavy scene polygon wise at the moment. I know the other shaders are faster in the viewport than the standard mudbox shader. Does anyonebody know which shader is the absolute fastest ? The simple blinn or the litsphere ?