Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique

Hi, this is my first post at Polycount. I'm currently a student pursuing a career as a 3D character artist and want to get into the game industry. I'm looking for some feedback / critique on my portfolio: http://yikuang13.wix.com/yk3d. Also, do game companies generally require more low-poly stuff in portfolios?

Thanks

Replies

• travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    when presenting your 3D work, and you want to show what you've created, it's best to have it displayed with a background thats nearly 50% gray. for example, your dark knight artwork, its very hard to see it
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    First, WiX is an awful web host. Anything flash there's a good chance will never be seen. Additionally, images can't be saved by leads into a folder for presenting lists of potential candidates. You will be overlooked. Carbonmade has cheap, HTML style hosting. Also very dark images on a white background a contrast killer.

Home page goes to some randomly cropped sculpt. In total five sculpts. Maybe Batman is finished. Can't tell as the image to too dark. The user has to work to get the FULL sized shot of the chief.

When presenting pieces, we need a LOT more than this. Wires, textures, general breakdown shots/information.

Again, most of this work is WIP or beginners stuff. No WIPs in portfolios. Full, game ready characters OR super amazing sculpts. Stronger presentation, better hosting. Also, the 2d is not very redeeming, and I would remove it.

And instead of a contact page, setup a proper Resume page.

Just noticed, your user name here seems like a real name, and that web site is someone very different. Really suspicious.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hi,

I would think now-a-days they want an all around artist that can do everything from environments, to characters, to props and animation and perhaps some scripting. Many would say these requirements would be best suitable for startups & smaller indy studios, this is just my opinion anyway.

The only thing I'd say right now about your images is that batman, a black on black doesn't read well, put him against a dark grey background or something lighter, I could make him out but I'd rather see him without stressing my eyes. :)

That's all for now hopefully someone else might come on in, the only other thing I'd add is find a company you like best and make similar stuff they are making.