Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi environment.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here as well as my first low poly work. Briefly, the first image concept was done by Gameloft, and the output is what I'm posting.

These are the Vray renders:
camera01.RGB_color.jpg
camera02.RGB_color.jpg

And here my first ever UDK project output so far, took me about 15 hours to setup everything:
udk_camera1.jpg
udk_camera2.jpg

And an example of the parameterized material I created for the panels.
udk_pane_material.jpg

Off the bat, I still don't like how the rocks on the interior look like. and on interior, there is a pane missing the yellow trim. Well, I will try to address that later on.

Comments and crits are very welcome!

All the best,

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I really like the idea of the wall panels that can be open for maintenance :D
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi CougarJo,

Yeah, I tried to convey somehow the idea that the environment is functional and "alive".

Obviously, we could try to think that for some reason the player need interact with such panels in order to complete a challenge. Full Throttle comes to mind...ooold school, but I loved the quizzes.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I forgot to upload a couple of wireframes, so here they are. Everything sums 59K polys, and about 70mb textures.
    camera01.wireFrame.jpg
    camera02.wireFrame.jpg

all the best,
  • stanley82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stanley82 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi leopadua3d,
    I would say it look good. Personally I would optimize here and there but really nothing major.
    Maybe somehow increase atmosphere, kind of tease viewer imagination: "What is deeper inside" but it is just my personal thoughts :)
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Stanley82,

you are right on with regards to the atmosphere. I bet I can crank the scene and tease more.
    Looking back at it, I find the UDK version way too flat. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the entire scene is just illuminated by the emissive of the material on the ceiling, and therefore lacking a bit of dark places. I will try to find time to improve it. :)

Tnx.
  • DiegoMinguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Leo,

Very good environment, the same for the panel shader.

You said that you don't like the rocks, did you try to put a detail normal map to give an extra detail?

You could improve the environment working a bit more on the lighting. More contrast to the overall scene between lights and shadows. Probably trying to put the white light a bit more yellowish would work to have a contrast with the green light of the background. An inverted depth of field may help, with the foreground blurry.

As for the train way, those seams are notably visible, and maybe some decals would give a nice variation.

Besides, very good environment!
  • romegar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romegar polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like we are on the same ship....

Good Luck!
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Diego and Romegar,

@Diego, well, my normal map on it is very detailed, I used several different things: Zbrush for low frequency and medium, and then added a high frequency pass from photos. What I dont link on it is the outcome in general, so I will try and revisit the shader. I also dont like the seam I did.. I would now move it to a different place on the model.

As for the train, those seams were supposed to be visible, as they are concrete blocks, the model itself has them. I used a lerp/vertex color to control the mix of 2 powered diffuse maps, which allowed me to remove a bit of the repetition, but not 100%. Not the same can be said about the rail itself, where I agree there are visible seams yet. Some vertices to be painted better I guess.

@Romegar, yeah..we and another 1000. jeje.

I will find the time to do some update on this. :)

Cheers and tnx for the comments guys.