Home Technical Talk

Stripping texture path

Hi everyone,

Here comes another query. Well, this might be a silly one :). I was working on a low poly dagger model in 3Ds max 2009. This model is a commercial one. So, stripping texture paths is mandatory which I did successfully in .max format.

Then I exported the same model (already stripped path) into .fbx format. There was no problem again.

But when I am importing this newly saved .fbx inside 3ds max (2009) once again it shows that all texture paths are nested. All of them.

I have no idea about exporting in .fbx. May be this is unavoidable, or may be there is some different solution to stripping texture paths for .fbx models? Or should I completely ignore the textures and export the model simply without textures?

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Just assign an empty material and export without textures. I don't think there are options in FBX to strip texture paths though if that doesn't work, you should be able to save as FBX Ascii and edit them out in notepad.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you also reset your material editor (Utilities > Reset Material Editor Slots) before you export to FBX. FBX is used to transfer as many settings and features as possible between autodesk's 3D packages, the material editor is one of those settings. So you might have stripped the paths off of the objects but you need to also strip them out of the material editor.

You can check file paths by going to the Main Menu > File > Manage > Asset Tracking, from there you can right click on paths and preform a few options. Be sure to hit refresh, it doesn't always update when changes are made.
  • glaive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestions. @ Mark: Thanks for the additional info. It would definitely help me a lot.