Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpt Work Wip

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
RipNic polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys.

Im doing a sculpt piece.
little bakground info:
insperation taken from wall-e and rover from planet 51.
its purpose is to be sent to a planet for observation and recording .

Maya Base Model.
http://i.imgur.com/qIBUf0O.jpg?1

Sculpt :
http://i.imgur.com/rfYAwNj.jpg

I have decided to make a sculpt render and in the later process continue with the rest .
I cant sculpt everything in zbrush as one file since it contains a lot of objects ,the data amount would be too high for me to work properly with so i will do part by part sculpting and later using decimation master to put everything together for the render part.

Feel free to comment.

Replies

• silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,new here.
    And your sculpt is awesome,looking forward to your sculpt render.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Are you planning to low-poly and bake it? So far it doesn't really feel like the sculpt is necessary, from what I can tell you're only really adding a bit of surface texture, panel lines and wear? Things like that can be done much faster during the texturing phase with nDo2 or xNormal PS plugin. If you're doing a lovely offline render then ignore that!

As for the design, I like it! One thing to keep in mind when designing Wall-E style robots is that all of the bots in the film conformed to this one idea that they existed for only one sole purpose or use, which was to be immediately obvious to the viewer. Like the vacuum cleaner bot, the little floor scrubber dude, the parasol, the hair dresser, the steering wheel. Granted, it gets a bit obscure, but the design philosophy is solid. Wall-E himself is a moving crusher, because that's what he's for, the majority of his features show this, think about his trademark drawer and hands. Rover from Planet 51 also gets this treatment, he's an observation robot, and so they've made a big deal about his massive eye/lens being the focal point of the design. Try to get into that mindset and think about how your model will be read by the viewer, and work on making sure the focal point, and purpose of the robot, is immediately clear.

Just a few ideas anyway!
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RipNic polycounter lvl 13
    to begin with this is not a game model its more towards the vfx.
    im studying a vfx education at the moment so i wanted to extend my showreel abit.

the core idea was to make the whole package.
    modeling,sculpting,texturing,shading and make a sweet render. but when i was talking to one of my teachers for some advice. he said that to do the whole thing would take a while.
    so he recomended to begin with a sculpt and make it look good . then you could start to deal with the rest.