Home› Unreal Engine

Map size doubles after new light build

haarp
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haarp polycounter lvl 8
My map was 340mb using my own lights. I then decided to copy and paste someone else's light and fog (deleting mine). After I build lighting my map is now 800mb.

Is there a process I have missed? Is it somehow saving the old shadow info for the previous map? (I just copied the fog and light icon, nothing else).

I haven't changed any settings on meshes. Just a simple copy & paste of fog and light icon into my map.

I didn't duplicate terrain. I should add that if I delete the lights and fog and rebuild lighting, my map size goes to 224mb. So it is the lighting that is causing the issue, but it seems to be any lighting, even if i create a new light and rebuild it goes up to 800mb.

my worldinfo lightmass settings
lllsk.jpg

There seems to be 2 shadows. If I move an object, say a tree, in my map it has a different shadow that what is being shown, look:
49129930.jpg
So it seems to be building 2 types of shadows? the weird looking shadow stays still while the detailed shadow moves with the object.

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    It can't go up that much, I assume your original level was not properly rebuild thus was therefore smaller in size?
    800 MB for a level is really big to begin with. You can probably bring it down some? Reduce lightmap resolution, especially on distant stuff. Use the lightmap resolution checker view to find what is too dense, and use the Primitive Stats browser to find the most common meshes, then reduce lightmap quality on top 5% most common meshes.

The shadows you see there are DistanceFieldShadows on the left - http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DistanceFieldShadows.html in combination with full dynamic shadows on the right. Both are rendered by Dom Dir Light or alternatively the right tree is a dynamic actor with a light environment. They should not appear next to each other like that.
    This does not cost any significant amount of memory, does cost considerable FPS though.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    What you do mean not properly built? I went into 'build lighting' had 'lightmass' selected and built lighting, this was working fine up until I copy & pasted another map's lights. I then deleted them and added my own dominant light and still 800mb after build lighting. Other custom maps for Red Orchestra 2 are around 350mb pre-cooked. Something is wrong in the setttings.

My old save doesn't have shadows unlike with the new lights, is this a cause? Still there's no reason why it should be so big just with shadows.

Here's a more detailed step-by-step of what I just did.

Went into an old save that did not have copy&pasted lights from another map.

Deleted the light and added a new one, typed in the settings manually copying from the other map (not copying the icon and pasting over).

Unticked 'BCastDynamicShadows' on the terrain.

Rebuilt lighting - 874mb from 346mb.

It looks like there's a setting somewhere that is screwing it up. Now my old save doesn't have shadows for some reason.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Clear Swarm cache and then rebuild. Also make sure you dont have any extra lights or something you may not have noticed they exist by checking through Scene tab in content browser, if you want to give another try to your copy/pasted map.(things may get messed up sometimes while copy/pasting stuff)
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    What happens when you delete all lights from your level. Place a single pointlight in the middle of the level with a large 10 000 or so radius, and rebuild. What is the size then?

Try to have a Dir Light also, not a dom dir light. Dir lights have no dynamic shadow and lighting, though that should normally not impact the file size.