Home Unreal Engine

Destructable Buildings - Advice

Hello all!

Right, so cut to the chase - What I want to do is to create modular-built buildings, that are fully destructible, and all have interiors. Is this possible, if so what would be the best approach that balances good looks and a stable FPS?

At the moment I've already made buildings built from flat planes not intending to be destructible and it works fine, but I want to make the buildings destructible and have interiors.

Thanks all in advance :):):)

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Your best shot is using Apex - https://developer.nvidia.com/apex
    This is available within UDK. You'd hit loads of problems and walls real fast though, not to mention the performance. You will probably experience all kinds of things not properly supported right now, gameplay wise, and you'd, I suspect, have major problems getting buildings to collapse upon themselves if the foundational walls (which are separate modular pieces) have been removed.
    If you want this to be properly playable and have a high level of polish, I'd figure something else out to do :)
  • TheGMODSPAZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello

Thanks for the advice! I've done a little experimenting and research and I've found a way which works for me - or at least the best that I can get it.

The way I've come up with is to use modular pieces all of which have a maximum of 10 chunks. 5-6 of the chunks DO NOT turn into rigid bodies, while the rest do, to still give it some realism. All the modular pieces all use ''form extended structures'' just so it doesn't make it obvious that they are all modular pieces.

Different parts of the building will have a different count of chunks, for example, floors will have 3-5 chunks depending on its size - obviously the bigger the piece the more chunks it will consist of.

As far as I know this works - works for me, works on paper ;) Mind you, if I do run into any performance issues I would partly blame my GPU. (It's ATI Radeon - so I assume its not fit for purpose on apex)