Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next Gen Rock Sculpt

Hi, I made a few small sculpt tests before this one. But this one is the first I spend some decent time on.

I would love to improve, so I could use your feedback :)

highpolymodel.pnglowpolymodel.pngwireframep.pngmaxbeautyrender.pngmaxbeautyrenderback.pngudkrock.pngudkrockcombined.pngudkrockcombinedback.png

Replies

• leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Looks a little... blobby and soft. Try going over it more with some of the Trim brushes. I personally like using the Planar as well. Your texel density doesn't look even either, it looks like some areas are super blurry.

This rock looks like it'd be one you'd see placed around on the ground, instead of being used to make cliffs. If this is actually one the player would see as they're walking, I don't think having all of the separate blobs(it's 4:30am, I can't figure out another word to use) makes sense for it's type. If this was going to be used to make cliffs or a side of the mountain, then yeah. Do you have refs you were following?
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Somehow the rock seems kinda blurry, maybe sharper edges and another bumptexture would help. Or a higher sculptlevel? The texture/dif looks great to me. Keep it up!
  • Deets
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Looks a little... blobby and soft. Try going over it more with some of the Trim brushes. I personally like using the Planar as well. Your texel density doesn't look even either, it looks like some areas are super blurry.

This rock looks like it'd be one you'd see placed around on the ground, instead of being used to make cliffs. If this is actually one the player would see as they're walking, I don't think having all of the separate blobs(it's 4:30am, I can't figure out another word to use) makes sense for it's type. If this was going to be used to make cliffs or a side of the mountain, then yeah. Do you have refs you were following?

Thanks for the feedback. I was working with mudbox for the sculpt. And I find it hard to get really sharp edges, they always seem to be a little bit too round to be a perfect rock sculpt. But I guess thats just a matter of practise and checking out how other people do it.

For the blurry parts, I think it's because I used roadkill for my unwrap to start with and I cut the rock in 2 parts between the gaps of my rock with the thought to hide my seem easier. But didn't know it would end up with these blurry parts.

And I was going to use it for cliffs or a side of the mountain :)
  • ftorek
    looks good - it misses a bit of finer detail i think - like smaller dents, cracks and hollows - also - i'd put in a bit more of angular, sharper lines - now it looks like pile of round rocks instead of 'rock' - which of course looks good in it's own right :)

edit:
    re your different texel density - your approach of cutting UV's where gaps are is good one - make sure to have both UV chunks same scale then - also - for stuff like this (let's say 'organic') - i'd try to have more even low poly triangles distribution - throw in handful triangles more and stick them where your long narrow triangles appear - that will help greatly to avoid stretching when relaxing your unwrap, thus avoiding different texel density

re sharper edges - explore your brushes :) - i've had a silmilar problem with z-brush, but now it seems that the only thing i can sculpt - are rocks ;)
  • Deets
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Somehow the rock seems kinda blurry, maybe sharper edges and another bumptexture would help. Or a higher sculptlevel? The texture/dif looks great to me. Keep it up!

If I fix the blur, I'll have to remake my textures from scratch. This is something I can do in summer vacation.
    Cause I'm a student and have lots of projects going on.
    But I'll place it on my to do list :)

And thanks :)
  • Deets
    ftorek wrote: »
    looks good - it misses a bit of finer detail i think - like smaller dents, cracks and hollows - also - i'd put in a bit more of angular, sharper lines - now it looks like pile of round rocks instead of 'rock' - which of course looks good in it's own right :)

edit:
    re your different texel density - your approach of cutting UV's where gaps are is good one - make sure to have both UV chunks same scale then - also - for stuff like this (let's say 'organic') - i'd try to have more even low poly triangles distribution - throw in handful triangles more and stick them where your long narrow triangles appear - that will help greatly to avoid stretching when relaxing your unwrap, thus avoiding different texel density

re sharper edges - explore your brushes :) - i've had a silmilar problem with z-brush, but now it seems that the only thing i can sculpt - are rocks ;)

Yea, I need to learn and add more smaller details when working with 3D. But often I have to keep them out because lack of time.
    And I think you're right when saying it looks more like a pile of rocks. It looks ok, but wasn't exactly what I was going for :s

Thanks for your feedback and solutions on the other remarks :)
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Deets wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I was working with mudbox for the sculpt. And I find it hard to get really sharp edges, they always seem to be a little bit too round to be a perfect rock sculpt. But I guess thats just a matter of practise and checking out how other people do it.

For the blurry parts, I think it's because I used roadkill for my unwrap to start with and I cut the rock in 2 parts between the gaps of my rock with the thought to hide my seem easier. But didn't know it would end up with these blurry parts.

And I was going to use it for cliffs or a side of the mountain :)

Ah okay. I'm not sure about the brushes most people use for rocks in Mudbox. I'm sure there are some similar ones.

Another ZBrush thing, but in ZBrush, you can paint where you want the seams, so you can cut down on the seams coming through obvious areas. Perhaps there's something like that for Mudbox? If you really have to, you could also open the mesh in Max/Maya, give it one of those tiling texel density textures, and then edit the UVs manually in the problem areas.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    What reference are you copying? Post it here.

Or if you didn't use one, tisk tisk tisk!

Best way to learn is to copy exactly a specific type of rock. Try different rock types that react differently to the elements.

Also try doin cliff faces and other non bouldery types.

TL;DR? Copy your reference!
  • Deets
    What reference are you copying? Post it here.

Or if you didn't use one, tisk tisk tisk!

Best way to learn is to copy exactly a specific type of rock. Try different rock types that react differently to the elements.

Also try doin cliff faces and other non bouldery types.

TL;DR? Copy your reference!

These are some pictures I used as reference
  • flashcat
    how did you do your UV maps?
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    In your reference, the rocks have much sharper, much more deliberate cracks and separation. I would aim for that. The ones you made seem much more like old stone walls rather than a natural rock formation.

TanyaZaryskiWall.jpg That's what it reminds me of.

A good way to achieve the sharp cracked look is to start with smaller, geometrically blocky rocks, and dynamesh them together in different ways to achieve something closer to your reference. That's my two cents, anyhow.