Home Unity

3d max helpers -> fbx -> unity

I have a 3d max scene with helpers in it. I want to know if I collapse it and export an fbx animation will/ can it go into unity?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure... but why not just try it?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If by helpers you mean Dummy or Point Objects, then yes; Unity import animation from helpers. If by helpers you mean something else, then the answer is still probably yes. If you can export it from 3ds Max and re-import it, then more than likely Unity will import it as well.

I don't know what you mean by collapse. Do you mean bake the keys from the Position/Rotation/Scale controllers? Or do you mean collapse the modifier stack? Neither type of collapse should be necessary.
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fellas. Yes, I meant Point Object. I thought I had to motion->trajectories->collapse.

I am a noob at unity and I don't know all of its capabilities.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    The only thing I noticed is that you can't use modifiers from max, something like stretch and push stuff. Looks cool on viewport but Unity can't understand them. There's still a tool/plugin to solve this, though.

On the other hand, you can export helpers and also IK Animations, as long as you bake the animations to FK ones, as that's the only ones Unity understand. (Notice: This is based on my tries and on the 3.5 version, things might have changed on version 4 with mecanim.)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still won't import IK animation - you'll need to bake it on export.

With Mecanim it'll find and bind the bones of a (roughly) human skeleton and then let you perform IK on those in-game (although I think the IK might be a Pro-only thing? I've not played with Mecanim yet).