Home Unity

Compression

deolol
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
deolol polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I'm wondering how its possible to force a web player level of compression to standalone desktop player

Its almost like magic, web player crunches down to 20mb while desktop is 143mb and for the purposes of prototyping/testing looks exactly the same. Any idea how I can force such major compression, theres so much space being used for no reason it seems.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The desktop player has to contain the entire engine and stuff. For the web player, the engine is bundled into the plugin so all it really needs is the content of your game. So the desktop version will always be bigger than the webplayer of the same game.

That said, I think the engine (for the web player, at least) is only a few MB - not sure why there's such a massive jump in filesize.

Do you have different texture overrides for your web player compared to desktop? By default it'll use the desktop settings for all platforms but in the texture Inspector, you can give overrides to compression and max size for desktop/web/flash/mobile.