Dota 2 - Technical Thread

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    e-freak wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm trying to find the source files for the heroes and so far all info I could find was the "you have to rip them". Is there a chance that someone already uploaded all the files for all the heroes or even if they might be on some hidden Valve page?

Sorry if this has been asked before, trying to catch up with the workshop right now!

edit: found this http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements but seems to be missing bane (which i wanted to model for) :(

If you can't find a hero on the requirements page, it means it isn't ready for cosmetics yet.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I've been playing around with handplane a bit and strangely though I cant seem to get it to work with my NaturesProphet items normalmap. It turns out all blackish in the preview. But through that i started playing around with the fbx format.

I am usually using Blender and export into smd files. Now I wanna know, what do you pros use for format and why do you use fbx/smd and not the other? are there any reasons why you should try to use one format and not the other?

Smds are like 97kb in size, while the same model has 144kb in size with fbx format, whats the aditional information? and how is it useful and why doesnt smd use it?

Maybe some more expereienced users can shed some light onto those issues.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Why is this thread not stickied? o.O
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Probably because there is hell of a mess on this subforum :p
    Most ppl anyway don't care and ask technical related stuff in main workshop thread....
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Coyote, black in which preview? Dota client? Did you bake tangent space or object space normals? It should be the former.

I always export as FBX, but I had a lil issue with this a while ago. I couldn't figure out why my items were always misaligned in the workshop preview and the shaders looked weird. Then I checked the FBX export settings and used "fbx 2010" instead of 2014 (using Maya 2014) and everything worked great. It took me days to isolate and identify the problem. So, gotta be careful with some newer software & compatibility issues :p.

But anyway, the reason I'm posting right now is to share some random revalation I came upon. :) I'm working on some caster helm (hood) and I was supposed to retopo it at 200 triangles. It was challenging but I pulled it off. But then the baking in xNormal went horribly wrong. I had widespread artifacts of epic proportions. Turns out, xNormal doesn't like it when your low res geometry differs from the original (I deleted some faces that would have otherwise penetrated the hero model anyway to save poly space).

2 days of headaches later, I tried baking in Topogun and it worked perfectly. Just 1 tiny artifact somewhere that I easily photoshopped away. I LOVE YOU TOPOGUN <3. So yeah, if you guys have baking issues, might wanna try different software as well :).
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    whats the problem with hero model penetration? isnt it unavoidable?
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    nothing, I deleted those polys cause they wouldn't be seen anyway, so they were just eating away at the budget.
  • mithhunter55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I am new here and just completed a couple of items. I am having an issue I am unclear what to try now.

The weapon and offhand import properly to game and work in animations except for walking. When the character is walking the weapon animates but is floating almost the full characters width away.

Had been working on a Pudge hook and cleaver. I have been resetting the xform and pivot point through out creation. Using mudbox, and 3DS Max

Any help would be amazing, thanks!
    File Version: 7.2.0
    File Creator: FBX SDK/FBX Plugins version 2012.0
    File Custom Writer: No
    File Creation Time: 2013/6/24 0:31:27
    File Axis Direction: Z-up
    File Units: Inches
    System Axis Direction: Z-up
    System Units: Inches

FOGTr0q.png?1
  • Eddy Shin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eddy Shin polycounter lvl 6
    hi guys, i'm newbie and i speak english not well... so i just quick ask, i have some problem today with import model into dota 2. I have model fbx(checked), color(checked), normal(checked), mask 1 and 2(checked) but i can't import them into the workshop, pls help me T_T
    56484239.dragonknight.jpg
    the note:
    Starting import of mu...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\dragon_knight\0x063a7c05\mu\mu_color.tga
    - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\dragon_knight\0x063a7c05\mu\mu_color.vtf
    CTargetVTF::Compile( mu_color.vtf ) - RunCommandLine Failed - ""e:\game\bin\vtex.exe" -nop4 -nopause -dontusegamedir "e:\game\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota\materialsrc\models\items\dragon_knight\0x063a7c05\mu\mu_color.tga""
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any help would be amazing, thanks!
    Try to change units in max from inches to centimeters, that should help :)
    If you will still have this error you can try to import/export SMD files instead of FBX.

@Eddy Shin Wow never saw this weird error message. Please check if your color/mask1/mask2 maps are 32 bit and normal is 24 bit. Also you can check if your TGA files were saved without RLE compression. Sadly its just a guess... I never encountered similar problem :(
  • Eddy Shin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    If you will still have this error you can try to import/export SMD files instead of FBX.

@Eddy Shin Wow never saw this weird error message. Please check if your color/mask1/mask2 maps are 32 bit and normal is 24 bit. Also you can check if your TGA files were saved without RLE compression. Sadly its just a guess... I never encountered similar problem :(

thx you, i checked everything fine but i don't know why i alway import failed. what is RLE compression? =.='
    still not working :(
    56502345.untitled.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RLE compresion is an option for saving TGA. Both gimp and photoshop
    http://bloodsportgaming.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/exporttga.jpg
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120124085652/jadeempire-modding/images/b/b7/Targa-options.png
    However even with this setting Dota should import textures. I don't know maybe try to export base moddel with base textures and see if that will load. If no maybe try to delete and download DOTA once again? Maybe after latest patches something went wrong during files update...
  • Eddy Shin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RLE compresion is an option for saving TGA. Both gimp and photoshop
    http://bloodsportgaming.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/exporttga.jpg
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120124085652/jadeempire-modding/images/b/b7/Targa-options.png
    However even with this setting Dota should import textures. I don't know maybe try to export base moddel with base textures and see if that will load. If no maybe try to delete and download DOTA once again? Maybe after latest patches something went wrong during files update...

i try import base model and base texture too but still not working and the system warning the same i do with my item :(
    i downloaded game again but still have that problem :(
    what should i do? T_T
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the best thing to do would be to post your problem here, so devs could look into it:
    http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407
  • Eddy Shin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the best thing to do would be to post your problem here, so devs could look into it:
    http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407

thx for your help, i find a answer from developer in here but i can't find my e\:game\bin =.='
    I downloaded your archive (thanks!) and tested it here, and the import worked fine. The step that seems to be failing for you is the vtex compilation step. Could you verify a couple of things for me?

- Do you have a vtex.exe in your i:\game\bin directory?
    - Do you have a qwer_color.tga file in your i:\game\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota\materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x04f035f0\qwer directory?
    - Where did that i:\game\bin directory come from? I'm guessing it's from a version of the source SDK? Or are you remapping directories in some funky way?

We ship a vtex.exe in the Dota 2 client install, which I would expect to see in your i:\game\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\bin directory. That's the one the importer should be using. It's possible the Source SDK is interfering with it in some way. If you could, check your environment variables and tell me what the value of the "VPROJECT" variable is (google "environment variables" to find out how to view them in whichever OS you're running).

Thanks for the help in advance, once I know what's going on I should be able to fix it so that no-one else runs into the same problem in the future.

P/s: i really worked, thx for your help Konras, pls add me as friend :D
    Steam ID: KSG.Eddy Shin
  • mithhunter55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks! So much new going on. I am learning a lot. Keep making my models overly complicated. Didn't notice that basic of why my 3dsmax didn't show units.

Going forward I will keep everything set to centimeters. For right now though it seems to have just moved the items I tried over a bit so they are floating. which seems like something I should be able to figure out and fix.

I am a bit disheartened though. Set the animation to Run I noticed the same jump in distance. Three items for two different characters I have made so far do this. I managed to make an item yesterday with out this happening, I don't know what to think happened with that one because in the animation list the character had only walk listed I believe.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mithhunter55 one more thing what you can try to do is to export original weapon. If everything will be OK, attach your weapon to original one and delete old geometry and export it.
  • mithhunter55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mithhunter55 one more thing what you can try to do is to export original weapon. If everything will be OK, attach your weapon to original one and delete old geometry and export it.

Great idea! That worked beautifully, yet I am still confused as to what i messed up some where along the line. Hopefully on my next item this will not a be a problem. So I had to attach it to the orginal and then delete the original geometry.

Well I guess there isn't to much harm in do it this way for my final export?

EDIT:
    ~~~
    Thanks again for the help! I finally got the first item I worked on finished.

Mith - DOTA 2 Workshop - Stone and Femur Cleaver
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    hello all!
    we've had a few issues with our courier and was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas.

Basically we have our animations looping and whatnot fine in maya, but when we export to fbx, some of the anims in game then start to glitch e.g. popping/just not looping smoothly

I was wondering if this was something anyone else had experienced?

I'm not technically minded so i've no real idea myself - at a guess i wonder if theres an issue with the way the animation keys are baked when exported to fbx? e.g. could it be "optimising" they keys to the point where some are being left out or ignored?

If necessary i could send/post up a couple of the example maya animation files for people to look at?

Anyway, any input would be very much appreciated. Cheers!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys i am having technical problems with textures, whenever i import my item into dota the textures seem to be missing and the item is just gray like a normal blin, does anyone know how to fix this?
  • jettatore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jettatore polycounter lvl 14
    Just double checking after a bunch of searches.... Is this even possible/has anyone had any success publishing items via Softimage, or is everyone using a middle man (Max/Maya/Blender) to get Softimage created items into the game?

The closest I've gotten is using Valve's .SMD tools on an old 32 bit version of Softimage and I can get a working model rigged properly and exported (at least is seems to be) but no such luck for the _fx.smd files for items that require it (Drow's bow string, etc.), they don't seem to work here. Also, all versions of .FBX exporter for Softimage w/every possible combination of settings tried seems not to work. 2014 fbx exporter doesn't validate, 2013 with Ascii set to on validates but the game doesn't properly respect the rigging/weighting Softimage puts in that file, at least for me.

Who's having the best of luck with exporting? Max or Maya folks, or are those two both equally viable? I don't want to waste any more time with this intermediary step. Thank you very much everyone, having many headaches here, any help is greatly appreciated.

Would love a smooth pipeline, especially if I do something with animation from Softimage later, like a courier, etc..

-thanks, cheers

sorry for double post, I posted this as it's own thread but it never showed up, so I'll just put it here -cheers
  • yamajama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so ive been having trouble with the shading effect in game. Now these images will show mask 1 and mask 2 that are all black (with that bit of color at the top left). WHAT IS THIS QnQ i dont understand, ive played with all the rgb and alphas, and i dont know what is causing this.1236392_569865603080899_630313261_n.jpg1186020_569865589747567_241261468_n.jpg1185038_569865586414234_756969522_n.jpg
    Im really lost.
    What is causing the shading to be wrong?
  • yamajama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this is a double post, but im pulling my hair out here. Can anyone tell me what could be causing this?1234320_569865569747569_349758932_n.jpg1186020_569865589747567_241261468_n.jpg
    1236392_569865603080899_630313261_n.jpg1185038_569865586414234_756969522_n.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @yamajama that looks weird. Could you post your textures and masks, maybe it would be easier than to figure out what is happening. As for now you could try to check if your color and normal maps are 24bit. You can also try to invert red/green channals of your normal map.
    If you examine your normal map on red channel source of light should be on right side and on green channel everything should be lighted from bottom. However for now you can just flip those channels with ctrl+i in PS and look if this made any difference :)
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having troubles with the decompiled phantom assassin model: some objects have ~1000 materials assigned and the cape has geometry problems :(
  • Spudnik
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »

I don't trust those zip files much, as they are often outdated... guess I'll have to use them this time.
  • polydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polydon polycounter lvl 5
    Hi,

is there any possibility to avoid backface culling? For example the capes in the original model files that you can download from valve are in fact one sided polygons but they are visible from both sides in the game. How is that possible?

polydon
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    polydon wrote: »
    in fact one sided polygons but they are visible from both sides in the game.
    They're not. You have to create both sides every time.
  • ILM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    polydon wrote: »
    one sided polygons but they are visible from both sides in the game. How is that possible?
    Actually it's impossible.
    Valve wrote:
    Please note that Dota 2 does not support double-sided materials; you will need to create geometry where a backside is needed.
  • polydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick answers :)

But I'm still confused. I attached a screenshot from the windrunner's FBX-file which I downloaded from valve. As you can see in the attached image, the cape consists of single sided geometry (Cinema 4D displays backfaces in a blueish tint and I didn't modify the geometry!)

Thanks,
    polydon
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Valve probably has access to tools that let them make their capes double-sided, but we don't and it's expected that we make geometry double-sided when needed to work around it.

The models that Valve gives out are often not representative of what you need to do to get yours working in-game - they often exceed the polygon budgets, are only single sided, some may have more bones than permitted etc etc.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Valve probably has access to tools that let them make their capes double-sided, but we don't and it's expected that we make geometry double-sided when needed to work around it.

The models that Valve gives out are often not representative of what you need to do to get yours working in-game - they often exceed the polygon budgets, are only single sided, some may have more bones than permitted etc etc.

This. It's just a simple .vmt command "$nocull 1" but we don't have access to it for our items.
  • polydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for clarification :)
    The polygon count was also an issue that confused me because of the exceeding budgets and I thought that I did something wrong when I tried to import one of the original FBX files for testing purposes into the game^^

polydon
  • tmth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a noobie question about Luna's model and texture in blender: the model seems to use 2 separate textures for her face and body, how do I go about assigning them both to the model? I'm currently trying to teach myself how to apply different textures to different vertex groups, but it's no go so far.
  • tmth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I have a bit of a noobish problem with the luna model in blender, it seems to be using 2 separate textures for her body and the face. How do I go about assigning them both correctly (the only method I know through the UV/image editor screen seems to be able to assign only either of these 2)?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    tmth wrote: »
    Hi, I have a bit of a noobish problem with the luna model in blender, it seems to be using 2 separate textures for her body and the face. How do I go about assigning them both correctly (the only method I know through the UV/image editor screen seems to be able to assign only either of these 2)?

There are two methods

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Materials/Assigning_a_material

Either have two separate materials assigned and have each texture assigned to it, this could be a little more complicated because you have to assign the individual faces of the mesh to each material.

The second way is to put both diffuse (color) textures into one material. That should be able to do it... http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Materials/Assigning_a_material

Don't forget to put the images to UV space instead of generated. If its black or something, then re-check the UVs of the mesh, sometimes its offcentered for me.
  • kanser03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanser03 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys, I'm having a texture problem after importing the item. I have all the files complete, color, normal, mask 1 and 2. I exported the item as .fbx and tried to change the version of the plugin lower than 2013 (tried this fix from other posts), cause in 2013 is where i'm having the problem. But still it's showing the same grey color and not the color that I used.

By the way here's a screen shot of the problem.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2l8ge3o.jpg

Here's the color of my texture.

http://i40.tinypic.com/f1bfkj.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there kanser3 many peoples are having this problem at the moments. Sadly no one knows what is the problem. What you could do is to maybe try loading it up on different PC as only some people are having problems so there is a huge chance that it will work. Valve is probably working on a fix at the moment.
  • kanser03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanser03 polycounter lvl 2
    Oh... Thanks for that Konras... I will definitely try it now on a different pc and will post the result later.

Edit: oh man... same problem...
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

I am new to making Dota 2 weapons

I need some help please.

So I made my 2nd weapon for Phantom Assassin.

textured, bind and exported to fbx. When i imported it to the engine and it says "import successful" but I cant see the textured mesh. I can only see the particles.

I loaded my 1st weapon and it worked just fine. I used the same workflow btw

Oh I am using Maya 2014.

Please help.

Thanks guys.
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy folks! Very excited to publish my first contribution to a Dota2 Courier. I animated everything for this guy, but currently I'm having a problem with the wing bones.

Check it out here on the DOTA Hattery - http://www.dotahattery.com/workshop/courier/warble_and_snikt/

And here is a render from 3DS Max - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7147325/cockatrice_fly_idle.mov

I haven't been able to figure out what the issue is here and I'm VERY pressed for time.

I've also been trying to re-export the whole thing but I'm getting an error in the DOTA2 Workshop when I try to import it, saying that it can't find my attachment bones. Did anything about that naming convention change recently? I've copy/pasted the name of the bones into the Attachment setup, ("bip001 Spine", "bip001 EyeL", "bip001 EyeR"), but it fails to find them when I try to test it out. I could really use some help on this one.

Thanks all around!
  • PrivacyEnt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    Would be a very weird solution but maybe it is caused because of those spaces on the bone names ? "bip001_Spine", "bip001_EyeL" would be more reasonable i think. afaik "space" is oftenly avoided in these kind of names.
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HELP!
    Hi guys can anyone tell me what caused this blue blotch?

its not visible in maya. I dont know where i want wrong. 
    Please help :(
    Thank you
  • ketura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are all the maps you're using?  rimmask, diffusemask, etc.  I had some issues with colors being inaccurate until I provided proper "blank" maps on import.
  • RedCouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedCouch polycounter lvl 3
    Is there currently a way to get the character animations? I've been searching all week and the only methods I could find were outdated. Any help at all would be appreciated. 

• marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    RedCouch said:
    Is there currently a way to get the character animations? I've been searching all week and the only methods I could find were outdated. Any help at all would be appreciated. 

Check out page 624 on Dota thread