Home Technical Talk

How to Rationally get Displacements out of xNormal?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
probiner polycounter lvl 12
Hi
I'm trying to get xNormal into a workflow where I can sculpt in Meshmixer/Sculptris, Retopo it, then Bake Occ, Normal, Displacement, Curvatures, etc, maps in xNormal.

My problem is I cannot take out of xNormal DISPLACEMENT results that can be rapidly obtained and setup to render after.

1 - I always have to fiddle with the Min and Max values to avoid clipping even in quite simple objects. Un-intuitively the same symmetrical value must be present in both (the one that is farther from 0 when clipping is fixed) in order to have the grey balance correct and the flat areas with 50% gray.

2 - As far as I can see xNormal doesn't report a factor value that can be used to scale the map intensity in the rendering package. This would make the results from the map match the reference mesh without hassle. This value can be tuned down on the rendering package easily on flat models, but quite eye-bally for organic models.

So for anyone using xNormal constantly for displacement maps, how do you make it work it smoothly for you?

Cheers

Replies

• imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I agree this is quite annoying, the ocd in me hates to guess.
  • SlyRipper
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    For 1) I can say that mostly the sliders go to the limits.. I tried several bakes and mostly the value where the "blue and red" areas disappear completely is to pull the sliders to their min and max states (it's not always the same number when you watch at that, it changes for each bake). So just grab them slide them to the limits and you're fine. So no fiddling (at least it worked fine for me)
  • probiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for chiming in. I managed to understand xNormal better and the reason for some values.
    I failed to understand that the min/max points sliders values where affected, of course, by the model scale set on LP and HP options. That's why I was finding no connection between such values and my reference model bounding box.

Still, this is what I do to get Zbrush alike displacement maps with 50% gray.
    xnormal-dialog.png

The scale factor on my rendering app equals to the model's absolute biggest value between min/max, so in this case it's 8,6246580, dividing by 16, the scale set up on LP and HP settings. This gives me sort of the bounding box of the model and factors my map just right.

Cheers
  • probiner
    Offline / Send Message
    For any Wavers out there, here is a tut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIcckNETPOw

Cheers