Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Black Cat Bust

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
I'm currently working on a character bust as one of my class' assignments.

currently a WIP

ZBrush+Document2.jpg

i'll leave it simple as that :)

any critiques/suggestions/etc.?

feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Could we get a better look at the face? She kind looks like she's wrinkling her nose in disgust from this angle.
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely, im at work atm but within a couple hours i'll upload some turn arounds and close ups! :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The curvature starting at the hip seems a bit extreme- a modest tweak will give her a more classical pose:
    VenusDeMilo.jpg

From this angle, the top of her mask looks inscribed rather than raised, and I can't see any cut-outs for the eyes - her eyelids seem attached directly to the mask.

Does the shape of her plinth have some significance to the character? If not, I'd suggest a simple base that doesn't draw interest away from the bust.

The fur seems a little blobby - I assume you're going for something like this:
    black-cat-artgerm.jpg

BTW, if you are, the zipper tab should be larger, and her choker should have a dangling medallion.

In addition to traditional texturing, you might want to create a texture as though she were carved from marble. The subtleties of marble can provide you with some interesting shading possibilities, and the result should stand out from traditional sculpts.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Look great Travis, can't wait to see more. Just wondering, where do you got to school? Most of the 3d classes I've taken at RIT do not go into this depth of detail unfortunately, so I'm shopping around.
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Could we get a better look at the face? She kind looks like she's wrinkling her nose in disgust from this angle.

here are some turnarounds , i didnt make any changes to it yet, literally just got home and found time to upload it but i'll be working on it hopefully tomorrow :)

turnaround.jpg
    DWalker wrote: »
    The curvature starting at the hip seems a bit extreme- a modest tweak will give her a more classical pose:
    VenusDeMilo.jpg

From this angle, the top of her mask looks inscribed rather than raised, and I can't see any cut-outs for the eyes - her eyelids seem attached directly to the mask.

Does the shape of her plinth have some significance to the character? If not, I'd suggest a simple base that doesn't draw interest away from the bust.

The fur seems a little blobby - I assume you're going for something like this:
    black-cat-artgerm.jpg

BTW, if you are, the zipper tab should be larger, and her choker should have a dangling medallion.

In addition to traditional texturing, you might want to create a texture as though she were carved from marble. The subtleties of marble can provide you with some interesting shading possibilities, and the result should stand out from traditional sculpts.

i see what you meen with the classical pose, i never realized how similar this pose was towards that sculpture :O would it look better with that pose? i was going for a similar pose to this sculpture:

Mockingbird+bust+1.JPG

hopefully from the image before the this one you can get a better view of the model. i'll definitely work more on the face though and tweak the pose and waist as necessary.

as for the base/plinth, i planned for it to be like a Safetey Vault Door since within her history she's had an attempt in robbing a bank.
    jfitch wrote: »
    Look great Travis, can't wait to see more. Just wondering, where do you got to school? Most of the 3d classes I've taken at RIT do not go into this depth of detail unfortunately, so I'm shopping around.

thanks alot! i go to the Art Institute of Inland Empire. Though from what i heard, you dont necessarily have to go to an art/private institute to become a professional. As long as the passion is there for learning and improving :D but there ARE advantages along with going to this school though like networking and such.