Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Entire HS/EV Portfolio, Right here, From scratch.

Replies

• RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    lol, that bad huh?
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, with too brown i mean, that there is not much color variation in the whole asset. Im no color expert myself, so get a few more comments on that :)
    Dont calibrate your monitor, thats really hard without calibration hardware. If you really think your monitor isnt good enough buy an ips monitor with pre-calibration.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah all good man. I have gotten lots of "less brown" comments. So I'm going to fix it. I'll lessen the brown on the center building, and hopefully with the green oxydation i will be putting on the metal it will help give me a good color variation.

Thanks a lot guys and for the tip about not opening up pandora's box.
  • Wingednosering
    This is mind blowing and I've saved it as inspiration :). I can't believe you're a student!

Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    I think it looks fine. Maybe when he said it looks brown. He means, the overall colour has the same hue?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weathering - I'm thinking mostly water stains - and environmental debris - for lack of a better term; things such as muscles clinging to the lower levels, slimy algae near the water outlets - can also add some color. I'm assuming, however, that such touches are still in the future.

Still more sources for color would be gems - the eyes of the statues would be a good place. The braziers, if lit, would provide their own red-yellow coloring, and water can, of course, come in a variety of colors, from blue-green to blue to brown, with faster moving patches being white or brownish-white, depending on the water's clarity.

Finally, there is the background - everything from the sky with its varied palette to the ground and the plants in-between. If you haven't done so already, you might want to spend some time thinking about where this is placed - on the shore, in an inland temple, underwater in a sunken city. Each has its own possibilities... a school of tropical fish would certainly provide all the color anyone could want. ;)
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker, you blow my mind man. so many good ideas, I could honestly hump your fricken leg right now. *cough* I mean... I don't even know where to start.

For background and placement. All I had planned is a Base, made of rubble, that looks as if it belongs to the never-ending story as it slowing withers away, with a grey back ground.... its pretty much the only Draw back to "Island Scenes"; which is no backgrounds...

but !!!Mussels/Barnacles and Algae!!! would be amazing detail addons, and be really easy to model. So that sounds like a great place to start!

Also what do you mean the eyes of the statues? make them lighter? darker? add emiffs to them? what?

And yea guys, the hue is overall too brown. but I feel that is the color scheme that fits it best. Maybe I just need to add more variants. Hopefully it can be addressed with more weather damage.

**BOOM! just realized how I can also spice up the base. ALGEA!!!! to the DETAIL RESCUUUUUUUUUUUUEEE!**

Edite : (I'm stupidly excited! all night Algae Zbrush party Time!!!)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    this is really impressive. very reminiscent of kevin johnstones work
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crystalvalley025.jpg
    hmmm... to subtle? :P Not literally a ruby, of course - emeralds or sapphires might be a better fit for the scene.

The ancient Greeks were known to embellish their statues with gems, precious metals, ivory, and rare woods, so the idea isn't quite as outlandish as it sounds.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty nice piece man!