Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly vehicles

Hello everyone, here is some of my work.

Vaidas_Okunis.jpg
2130 triangles.
Diffuse and specular maps.

Vaidas_Okunis2.jpg
6777 triangles.
Diffuse and specular maps.

I would love to get some feedback.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The smoothing groups for the bow are a bit odd - I'd expect each side to be smooth, with a different group on the other side. For the smooth stern, I'd have the central polygons in both smoothing groups. Overall, you can afford to spend more polygons on the hull, especially near the bow & stern. Fewer than 100 extra polygons would greatly improve the model (add more near the propellers, but only if you want to display the model out of the water - for most purposes you can cut everything off slightly below the waterline).

Your smaller cylinders (secondary guns, masts, direction finders) seem to have an excessive number of sides. At this size, you can get away with 4 sides without losing much visual quality. Overall, I'd estimate a ship this size with this level of detail to be in the 4-5k triangle range. Adding a normal map would improve the quality and allow you to remove even more polygons.

You have anchor chains, yet no anchors. They'd be clearly visible.

The texture feels unfinished. Aside from missing elements (portholes, ship number/name, hull plates), I'd expect some degree of weathering. Just adding a cloud overlay to the base metal texture adds a great deal to the quality. Take a look at some pictures of 1/700 scale models to get some idea of the kind of detail that should be visible on a model this size.
    4513736650_864edeae45_z.jpg

The black waterline seems much too thick - it's typically just a few inches and yours seems to be several feet. I'm unaware of any country which has painted a flag near the bow; the closest I can think of would be the IJN's golden chrysanthemums mounted on the bow of their major surface ships.

The viewing ports on your secondary guns should be black, rather than darker grey.