Home Dota 2

Starcofski's Section

Hey guys, so to start, I'm going to post an album of all the materials I used, along with (soon) two finalized in-game videos of my Outworld Devourer horns cosmetic.

But first some reference numbers.

Mask1 - Red: The glow effect will occur at even 4 points above pure black (for best results use a buffer of 5-9 for compression). I'm not going to give anything away, but I plan to abuse this fact in my armor piece coming up.

Mask1 - Blue: I found that using a RGB value of (48-48-48) I was able to replicate the shine on the head without mis-matching the base colors (which is not included in the download files). Note that this is not an exact number, but is close enough that you should be fine. I would imagine you have about +/- (8-10) in this figure, but Your Mileage May Vary!

Mask2 - Red: The Specular intensity for this mask basically determines the power/strength of the blue edgeglow you can see easily in any shot of his body. Any white value higher than 200 is visible, with 236 being barely a pixel or two thick. For best results, go for broke with pure white.

Mask2 - Green: Here also affects the edge-lighting, but for this one go with pure white (no midtones) where you want it. I attempted a full-white layer here though, and it isn't a good idea. Try to only have it on spots that you want to yeild a slight blue radiance.

Sidenote: the Edge effect is prominent on OD throughout the model due to the high number of surfaces which are near-parallel to the viewer's eye in the zoomed-out view. For maximum blue aura, I reccomend using surfaces which are not super-steep (like mine), and instead try to angle it so that you view as many parallels as possible while playing.

My materials with an ingame shot: http://imgur.com/a/HRgtM

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaGh53eKjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaGh53eKjw[/ame]

And I will paste some pics of my in-progress base armor and wing design later tonight!

Replies

• Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's 3 pics of the Armor and Wings low poly. Both I attempted to keep to the same styling, but I have a nagging feeling it might be too uniform/smooth for other's tastes.
    dglPtll.png
    NbNyYF4.png
    EKkOWxi.png
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, had a nice break, and now I'm returning to finish what I started. Below is the base colors for the wings, still needs shading and highlights, but the current testing is the balance of Green vs the Stone. My goal was to use just SLIGHTLY more green than the base wings do, though my greater concern is about the general design.
    ygwwYhz.png
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the UVs for the armor done, currently testing out where Green is appropriate. Currently unpainted, but I think this could be a fair amount, though some of the designs probably can't be that intricate, based on the readability of the Text, circles, and runic lines.
    3fxXf7C.png