Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Indoor Environment - Some Assets [WIP]

Hello, I am a bit of a newbie at working with 3D and am about halfway through building my first major piece that I hope to include in my portfolio. I was hoping to get some critique and suggestions on what I could do to improve. My scene isn't entirely... Put together yet so I just have some renders of a few assets I've built for it.

This has been a loooong project for me and, as I've been learning as I go, I can already see a lot of problems with my old geometry, texturing, etc. I am worried that the models have fallen into a strange limbo between realistic and cartoony because I was never all that certain what I was going for in the first place.

The scene is supposed to be a Steampunk Private Investigator's Office at the very top of a tall clock tower. Clocks themselves are a pretty big theme in the room because the theoretical story around it involves time travel. The biggest piece is going to be the large cluster of gears and girders hanging from the ceiling of the room and turning the big clock on the outside of the tower.

CuJsNPr.jpg
cXUQFU7.jpg
3WZPVxc.jpg
Wz8xrXj.jpg

This is the piece I would like to have the most effort put in to to make it look really sharp when everything is finished. Suggestions on how to make my textures and shaders work better would be very much appreciated. I put quite some time into the current textures but I realize they are not very good. The shaders are just default Maya Blinns with some settings tweaked. I haven't made any normal maps or spec maps yet because I am still not pleased with my diffuse.

Things to do/fix:
-Improve diffuse textures (Add more rust, better placement of rust, more grime, signs of age, etc)
-Create Spec and normal maps
-Add supporting edges for smoothing
-Create some better shaders
-Ambient Occlusion
-Put the scene together

Some more assets from the room:

Grandfather Clock
hUiXyv0.jpg

Safe
f4KmNnQ.jpg

Bookshelf with Book Textures
Z3szyTK.jpg

When everything is done I plan to get it in to UDK to get a bit of a level going.
Thanks for reading!

Kyler Greer

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gears at the 90 degree junction should be bevel gears.
    Bevel%20Gear.jpg
    The gears for the clock are quite a bit more complicated, and you're going to need two hands.
    clock_all_gears1.jpg

Note that the outer shaft is a great deal thicker - it has to enclose the inner shaft. You'll also need a solid support where the shaft passes through the glass - the central circle is probably large enough.

The bezel around the clock face is very low polygon considering its size; 36 sides would probably work. The inner surface would not be rounded - that part should be a tube rather than a torus, and the tube section should be as long as the wall is thick.

Most public clocks of the period used Roman numerals. Also note the use of "IIII" instead of "IV", which was common for most clocks.

3380251-detail-of-public-clock-with-gold-roman-numerals-and-a-black-face.jpg
  • Kyler Greer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input!
    I've needed to do some in-depth research to make sure everything actually works as I intend it so you've saved me a lot of work. The roman numerals are a better idea too and I will switch to them right away.