Home Unreal Engine

Lagging Problem: Is it possible to put static meshes in groups/layers?

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
I am working on a UDK level right now that involves a lot of trees, which unfortunately are causing a lot of lag. I fairly new to UDK so I had a question: is there a way to add static meshes such as trees to a group (or layer) that you can hide/unhide?
My other option is to add the trees in once I'm finished with everything else, but obviously I'd like to work with them as closely as I can.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    There is a layer manager, but it's a little limited in my opinion. One of the tabs in the Content Browser's window.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I saw that, but I haven't figured out how to use it exactly. The problem is when I try to search for info about "layers" in UDK most of my search results are about terrain layers. :T
    I did find this, however: http://forums.epicgames.com/archive/index.php/t-715057.html
    It talks about adding speed trees to a deco layer, which I don't know how to do yet, but at least I'm getting somewhere.
    I also thought of just creating a canopy in speed tree, that way I don't have to have so many trees.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, you can add meshes/prefabs/lights/terrain/particles/whatever you can select in the editor to a layer. They work similar to layers in Photoshop, where you can lock or hide layers and only work on what layer is visible. Just select what you have in the scene and right click, then go down to "Level". It should have options to make a new level with the selected. The Levels tab is at the top of the Content Browser.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Yes, you can add meshes/prefabs/lights/terrain/particles/whatever you can select in the editor to a layer. They work similar to layers in Photoshop, where you can lock or hide layers and only work on what layer is visible. Just select what you have in the scene and right click, then go down to "Level". It should have options to make a new level with the selected. The Levels tab is at the top of the Content Browser.

Awesome! Thank you very much!