Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK cavern environment WIP

oldemo
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
oldemo polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycounters ! :)

This is my first thread on this forum so I'd like to present myself first. My name is Olivier and I'm studying in computer graphics for about 4 years. I started in belgium and I moved to Quebec 2 years ago. Now I study at the University Laval and I graduate in May.

I'd like to present you the UDK project I am working on in order to have feedback and suggestion. This is a environment in UDK I started 8 month ago. It's a WIP and what I show you now is the current progress.

I hope you'll like it !

olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP1.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP2.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP3.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP4.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP5.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP6.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP7.jpg
olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP8.jpg

Replies

• vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe adding some darker areas in your lighting could give you more contrast, right now it looks a little washed out. Other than that looks cool. :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad at all. One of the biggest issues is the lighting. I think you might have a skylight or something in your scene because there are no dark spots. I get that you want to show off the assets but it's important to have good lighting. The lighting will also help break up your scene and give some depth to it as it seems very noisy, with nothing being designated as backgroung/foreground...etc. Use little pockets of light to callout the sillouette on the pillars and the doors.

For the tunnels, the texture on the walls is very plane and visually uninteresting. I would suggest sculpting a tileable rock texture and using it there instead of that soft rock look.

Hope this paintover helps.

paintover_01_zps9441e034.jpg
  • oldemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldemo polycounter lvl 6
    Long time no update ... Thanks to you two guys for your advices. I really love your paintover Wester and it very inspired me. So I remaked my lighting, tweaked some textures, added a few meshes and I made another tunnel rock texture (I sculpted it in zBrush and exported the map).

This is my last update and during the next weeks I'll begin to to the outside part of the environment. Indeed, there's another part at the otherside of the tunnel. I already designed it and made some meshes and textures for it. I am also waiting for your advises :)

Thanks in advance for your advices and I hope you'll like it :)

olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP9.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP13.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP10.jpg
    olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP11.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP12.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXPL0dLjFNM&feature=youtu.be
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    looking nice, I like the atmosphere you've created. very fanasty-esque, if my made up word makes sense. Do you intend to use this for a game, or is it more for a demonstration of skills?
  • oldemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldemo polycounter lvl 6
    looking nice, I like the atmosphere you've created. very fanasty-esque, if my made up word makes sense. Do you intend to use this for a game, or is it more for a demonstration of skills?

Thanks ! Actualy this won't be use for a game. As you said, it is more a demonstration for my portfolio.
  • oldemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldemo polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,

I started building the outside part of the environment. It's a kind of island where a new civilisation built on an old civilisation ruins. For the moment I tried to find the style of the ruins and I also worked on the vegetation which has grown on it.

This is my current progress. I hope you'll like it and I'm am waiting foreward your comments and suggestions.

olivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP14.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP15.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP16.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP17.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP18.jpgolivierCarignanUDKSceneWIP19.jpg
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, this is really nice! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one, keep up the good work.
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking so beautiful! The outside reminds me a little bit of the Myst games. Can't wait to see this finished :)
  • oldemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldemo polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

after a long time, here is finally my project. I am done with it and I am going to start a new project soon. Thanks for your help.

18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg

26.jpg

here is also a video of the scene : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpeV0yVg7ko
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice outcome! It definitely feels like somewhere I want to look around in a game, that's for sure.