Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: TealSkullgon

Hey, how is everyone? I recently joined the forums to see myself improve either by myself or from other people around me. The thread speaks all: I'll post some of my recent work either they be completed digital paintings or black and white sketches.

I want to become a game artist/designer and the typical game of "oh! high school grad! Go do this expensive art school of your only major interest, get head deep in debt, and get a low chance of getting a career! Have fun!" isn't what i want. I want a career that maybe I won't have to play that game, that's the reasoning I want to improve.

You'll mostly see 2D art, I want to do 3D but I don't have or know any programs that I can use. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Anyway, here's the first sketchbook picture! Enjoy~

Zaltalcolor.jpgZaltalBnW.jpg

Zaltal has been my original character since my childhood (back in 2004 I believe). I recently started to draw black and white first, then apply color.

Replies

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Indeed, a good venture.
    Tell more more about your oc and what he does.
    Also if you are doing lineart I would look into paint tool sai and things of that nature. Photoshop
    doesn't have the line quality you know?
    Working on fundamentals is fundamental indeed. As for schools, I would do some extensive research and see what programs are being offered and what your focus is.
  • TealSkullgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @valuemeal: I have Paint Tool Sai, I loved it before I got Photoshop; It's just that whenever I do make something with the lineart it would turn out too 'cartoony'? I can't really explain it but with the black and white shades it feels like I'm painting something and if there's something I don't like I can just paint it or alternate it with ease!

Zaltal's back story is a little lengthy of what he is, his people, and so forth.

Basically he was born with the traits of the now cursed species called Skullgons. Before the curse that was laid upon them ages ago, they worshiped the light, elemental energy of pure intent. Some forsake the light due to the reasoning of what did it do to help them? Others, such as Zaltal, were blessed by the light and served to protect his people from eternal darkness.

He's very powerful with light energies, despite his unholy features from the curse. He fights along his brothers and sisters in an that has been going on for eons. A battle between light and the foul corruption that their adversaries call "darkness".

Close to his adulthood he was called upon by the chosen warrior of the light that he fights for of all of his life. She brought a message to him claiming that he is no ordinary Skullgon, he is more powerful than all of his kin; his skills with the light energies cannot be outmatch unless facing a rare and powerful entities known as Phenomenon. He is a Phenomenon.

I'm not trying to make this a big wall of text for everyone. If you want more of the story let me know, I can draw some more stuff to go along with it. Either it be who he worships, the war, his enemies, the chosen warrior, or the Phenomenon.
  • TealSkullgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a quick piece.

PoiAnthro.jpg

Needed to update my persona while practicing.