Home Dota 2

Flex Controllers import and export

note: Flex Controllers are Valves implementation of Blend Shapes/Shape Keys

So I realized that some cosmetic slots have Flex Animations applied to them (like the Sand King and Faceless Void heads). But not all the cosmetics for them have the necessary Flex Controllers, so I thought I'd create a guide that covers some of the information needed to export and import this information. You can find it here:
A3FPfKI.png
WIP Steam Guide

It's not complete yet and the writing is all over the place right now and I'm trying to fix that. Meanwhile if anyone has successfully exported Flex Controllers from Maya or done so using the old *.smd *.vta and *.qc method I'd appreciate some basic info on how you did it, so I can include those methods into the guide since the *.dmx method allows limited control over the particles and materials included with the items without manually editing the *.dmx files.

Edit1: I successfully exported it with a *.smd and *.vta and *.qc combo which makes adding particles and meterials in the *.qc easier afaik. Ammended the guide

Edit2:Video version: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmY19dKKRf4"]Dota2 Flex Animation Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you managed to recover this huge set of rules for flex controllers?
    Great work, man!
  • MechBgum
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MechBgum wrote: »
    How did you managed to recover this huge set of rules for flex controllers?
    Great work, man!

It's both in the *.ma file in seperate expression nodes and if you export it into a *.dmx file it's also there. I'm thinking about maybe making a video about how to extract the controller expressions from other models/cosmetics.
  • MechBgum
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, looks very helpful. Do you think you could upload your example .qc and this upate.exe elsewhere? I'm having issues downloading from the Mega site.
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, looks very helpful. Do you think you could upload your example .qc and this upate.exe elsewhere? I'm having issues downloading from the Mega site.

Oh, I recently found out that you can just extract the vpak file into the dota folder and then delete the *.vpak to replace files easier. But that has the problem that you have to re-do it every time a patch hits.

I orignally wanted to just dump the *.qc file as text into the guide but it's too long for the [code] tag in the guide workshop, anyways here are the dropbox mirrors:

demo *.qc

Flex Controller only Ascii DMX

update.exe (CAREFUL unverified binary)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmY19dKKRf4"]Dota2 Flex Animation Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Made a video of the whole process, it's kind of long but look in the description for specific timecodes of what you're looking for.

Working on some subtitles so that my mumbling is a little more comprehensible

edit: finished the subtitles, enable closed captions on youtube to see them
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    omg, how i never saw that before?

going to study your techniques sir!
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I don't know how useful that would be for normal items and couriers. This is only really useful in some edge cases.

I haven't researched how to do your own keyframed animations yet. Only how to make drop in replacements.

Remember Flex animations in Dota2 are only enabled in the portrait render (and I think it could be used in the showcase model too, but it's disabled as of yet)

Watching the whole video isn't of much use, just use the timecodes in the description to go to a specific section.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigpet wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know how useful that would be for normal items and couriers. This is only really useful in some edge cases.

I haven't researched how to do your own keyframed animations yet. Only how to make drop in replacements.

Remember Flex animations in Dota2 are only enabled in the portrait render (and I think it could be used in the showcase model too, but it's disabled as of yet)

Watching the whole video isn't of much use, just use the timecodes in the description to go to a specific section.

today is the day to get that working, i will use your information with some that i got from Nicholas, the creator of MESA

A friend of mine, Bronto Thunder, made an item for lion that Valve added flex, so its possible to cosmetic itens, going to use that one as reference
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigpet, you said on your guide about 2 ways of compiling the flexes, one with the dmx and another with a VTA and a smd file

on the second case, do i need to make the smd files save all the frames with all the shapes or the vta should handle that for me?

also i tried with dmx but every attempt with valves scripts crashed my maya...
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The *.smd is just the base model. The *.vta file contains all the shape keys. Blender exports them automatically if a model has shape keys, I got to look up how to do it with Maya, don't have a version with MESA installed currently.

edit: Haven't properly installed MESA but my prefs folder in my profile still works somewhat, I only get "Object '' not found" errors when trying to export the *.vta, might be the just my half-assed installation though.

Anyways, if you want a work-around for the short-term get a half decent *.fbx importer (like this one) for Blender and export the file to *.smd/*.vta in blender (works a lot faster than MESA too :P)
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damnit, how do I delete a post?

Well anyway figured it out, let me post a video, It'll take a while because my internet is ass.

Here: tried to use Twitch to get it done fast: twitch vod just watch until 5:40 after that it's just me scrambling how to find my model.

Anyway if you have a *.qc file that I should test, just pm me and I'll try if it works for me.

Edit: I'm terribly sorry, but the Twitch VoD disappeared on me because I didn't "Highlight" it, sorry.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigpet wrote: »
    damnit, how do I delete a post?

Well anyway figured it out, let me post a video, It'll take a while because my internet is ass.

Here: tried to use Twitch to get it done fast: twitch vod just watch until 5:40 after that it's just me scrambling how to find my model.

Anyway if you have a *.qc file that I should test, just pm me and I'll try if it works for me.

awesome! thanks for the video, it helped a lot

at least now i know that the dmx export crash is a isolated case here, going to try with maya 2012

Also, huge thanks for the info on smd and vta, now i know that i dont need to have the shapes on the smd, and just use the vta for it.

i will to get maya working, if not i will take some time to learn blender =].

here are the files im trying to test now, it have all the blends for Dragon Knight. i added the qc files, the maya and the decompiled smd versions with my test custom taunt as the idle1 (rare idle)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dubajsrrtbebdp2/OHnssuBZ1C

since building the blendshapes are just basically moving vertices, i think i will not much hard work do it in blender
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, i can delete posts if you want =]
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

since building the blendshapes are just basically moving vertices, i think i will not much hard work do it in blender

Like I said, if you get a decent fbx importer (the one I linked) you can import animations and blendshapes from Maya without a problem into Blender.

You don't need to delete the post anymore, since it now actually has something new to say after the edits, I just accidentally hit the reply button.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, you always can edit the post but not delete

new about the blend shapes, the problem was maya 2013... on 2012 it WORKED!!!!

Your tutorial helped a lot!

i cant believe after amost a week trying that it finally worked, huge thanks sir!