Home General Discussion

Mari Vs DDO

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hi Guys

Can you give me the low down of using "Uixel - DDO & NDO" verses using "The Foundry - Mari" I know its used mainly in the VFX industry but I know some games companies are looking into using Mari for some PS4 titles and I wanted to know how are you getting on with it?

DDO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hncqbwkGbM4

Mari
http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2012/08/the-foundry-introduces-mari-1-5/

Hit me with some advantages and disadvantages

Cheers, Neil

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They are completely different programs.

Mari is like painting on a 3d mesh, like in 3dcoat, painting in zbrush, or mudbox.

DDO generates textures based off generated maps. DDO is more like Substance Designer, which was included in the latest release of UDK. Mari and DDO aren't really comparable to each other.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    Mari is like painting on a 3d mesh, like in 3dcoat, painting in zbrush, or mudbox.

but one major difference with Mari and most other 3d painting tools is that Mari is only 2d camera projection based painting at the moment. all your paint projects straight on to mesh and your paint brush does not respect surface normals, tangency etc.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thanks for your thoughts guys
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    im quite surprised that game companies are looking into using mari in their pipeline, given the cost. But my experience in using it is that its quite a powerful 3d painting software. realtime displacement preview, editing your paint projection on the fly, painting in uv mode, Muilti uv tiles support, tri planar texture projection.