Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback please anyone?

Im 15 years old and ive been playing around with zbrush. Ive only finished 2 sculpts but was wondering if i could have some feedback from anyone. I have a few videos up on youtube and will post screenshots upon request. Thank you eveyone in advance.
:poly124:

Replies

• darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    You should probably post a link to your youtube page if you do not want to upload screenshots to the forum. It's a little hard to give you feedback without knowing what to look at.
  • FFQOTSA
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upon request? Just post them.

EDIT : That said, I think the main crit you're going to receive here is that you need to study anatomy. It's great that you're diving in and are enthusiastic but the heads don't look like real heads. The forms are very spongy and don't have any real definition to them. It's cliche, but I think the best advice would be to find some tutorials on anatomy and sculpting and see where that takes you.

EDIT 2 : Oh, and I wanted to say that it might seem disheartening to learn anatomy instead of sculpting but you're 15! Imagine how much of a bad ass you'll become if you learn this stuff NOW instead of scrambling to learn it years from now.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Like WarrenM said it's great that your already playing around with this kind of stuff, While I'm not going to critique your work I will give you a few tips on other things.

Firstly if you want crit then make it as easy as possible for people to see your work, that means embed pictures/videos in the thread. You can use image upload sites but personally I shove all my art onto my blogspot site and then link it in on polycount. I and many others are to lazy/to busy to go link hopping for your work to then spend however long writing a post.

Also while I'm sure that polycount is a safe and friendly place, generally speaking posting up your age while you are still a minor is considered a bad idea.

Anatomy is key, I teach at a university course on game art and the heads that some people sculpt genuinely terrify me. Get some anatomy reference books and learn about proportions. I would suggest attending life drawing classes studying nude models Though I'm fairly sure you need to be 18+ to go to those classes or at least have an adult present. So maybe just make do with books for now.

Don't do aliens when your trying to get better (by all means do it for fun) it's really hard to critique as we have no basis for its anatomical structure. Try and stick with things that you can compare to images and real life people, places or objects.

Start simple and build complexity up in layers. i.e. don't start on a massive polycount. Keep it low and build your silhouette then add detail. If you find yourself tweaking tiny little things when your overall model still needs work then you should take a step back.

Finally the cheesy one keep practicing.
  • FFQOTSA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone and for the quick responses. Are responses on this site usually this quick?

I dont know if you heard of him but i watched many of liam shaws videos on youtube and various other tutorials on zbrush before even attempting what i made. Obviously, im young and so have a LOT to learn.

@AzzaMat what country you from? Next year im leaving secondary school to go to college. Im doing a game design course there covering loads of areas including work with the UDK. will they teach me any stuff about anatomy or shuld i do it myself?

These were my first sculpts and im really just trying to practice more than anything. Im aware that anatomy is very boring to study but is well worth it later on. One last thing, would drawing - either in photoshop or on paper - help me at all? Even if to plan out my sculpts? oh and is a graphics tablet worth investing in? Lots of people have said there amazing but they are quite pricy for a guy with no income at all. ;D

Thanks again, Chris
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawing is a great skill for all sorts of CGI, especially characters.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, you're using a mouse? Yes, get a cheapo bamboo tablet at the very least. It will make a WORLD of difference. I mean, night and day.
  • Aardschok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Chris,

I'm a 4th year student at IGAD in the Netherlands. I'm a visual artist and our courses here are set up in such a way that you learn everything in the right order. Drawing will improve your sculpting skills by deconstruction the subject. It also helps increase your eye for detail, observation skills are key to becoming a good artist. Check out some tutorials on YouTube from Ryan Kingsley.

What I learned in the past 4 years is that putting time and effort in understanding a program or the theory of certain operations (e.g. exporting normal maps) will help you in the future. Keep exploring the program and practicing.

As for a tablet... YES YES YES, look in to the many types and try them out in a store near you. It is important you are comfortable with it. I have a Intuos 4 Medium and I go no where without it. Maybe you can buy a second hand one, an older version of Intuos or something similar to lower the expense.

Cheers and keep on it.
  • FFQOTSA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you everyone. i was looking on amazon and the cheapest i could find was £70 including a pen. When i turn 16 i will (hopefully) get a crappy little weekend job and save up. Ill definitely look into drawing a bit more.

Thanks again, Chris.
  • FFQOTSA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any good anatomy learning resources out there?
  • DWalker
  • FFQOTSA
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
  • FFQOTSA
  • FFQOTSA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do people really learn from stuff like that?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    While you can learn from loomis, it's a lot faster to learn from an anatomy expert that can walk you through the complexities of anatomy...like these guys:

If you have money and motivation, you can't go wrong with Scott Eaton's courses:

http://www.scott-eaton.com/anatomy-for-artists-online-course

http://www.scott-eaton.com/digital-figure-sculpture

Zack Petroc's anatomy series is a cheaper alternative (he also offers courses now)

http://www.zackpetroc.com/category/videos/
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    FFQOTSA wrote: »
    Cheers everyone and for the quick responses. Are responses on this site usually this quick?

I dont know if you heard of him but i watched many of liam shaws videos on youtube and various other tutorials on zbrush before even attempting what i made. Obviously, im young and so have a LOT to learn.

@AzzaMat what country you from? Next year im leaving secondary school to go to college. Im doing a game design course there covering loads of areas including work with the UDK. will they teach me any stuff about anatomy or shuld i do it myself?

These were my first sculpts and im really just trying to practice more than anything. Im aware that anatomy is very boring to study but is well worth it later on. One last thing, would drawing - either in photoshop or on paper - help me at all? Even if to plan out my sculpts? oh and is a graphics tablet worth investing in? Lots of people have said there amazing but they are quite pricy for a guy with no income at all. ;D

Thanks again, Chris

I lecture at Southampton Solent University in England and any games art course should have you drawing. In the first year of my course as well as life drawing we teach classical animation just to get students used to drawing quickly and get meaning in their drawing. Both photoshop and paper drawing is a good ability to have. Feedback from our students show us that they wish they had done more photoshop before coming to university, A bad model can be saved by a good texture but a bad texture will ruin a good model. I would recommend practicing texturing just as much as modelling. 100000% get yourself a tablet they get pricey with the top end cintiq's costing around £2000 but the lower end stuff you can get pretty cheap.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Depending on where you are, join lifedrawing classes. Beware, you will see naked people of all ages, shapes and sizes, both male and female so be mentally prepared for the posibility of floppy everythings.

That together with some of the courses and learning material suggested here would be a good way to get learning.

Another artist/author that can be useful is Burne Hogarth:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Figure-Drawing-Burne-Hogarth/dp/0823015777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363088390&sr=8-1&keywords=burne+hogarth"]Dynamic Figure Drawing: Burne Hogarth: 9780823015771: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

He's got a quite distinctive and slightly exaggerated style but it can be helpful when learning. Eventually you'll find your own style (if you keep drawing/sculpting)