Home General Discussion

Would you go to Mars?

Replies

• Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Realistically, does everyone have to be willing to adapt to a vegan diet (maybe not for the journey, but once they get there) or are they planning on making room to take animals to live up there as well? Taking animals would be a real waste of resources, not to mention probably a crammed and unpleasent journey for the creatures.

I'm sure the goal is to create a sustainable living situation on that planet, one where you dont need to be constantly resupplied in order to survive.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I agree that we need to take care of the Earth and solve a lot of the problems we face here before we reach out to other planets.

Getting our priorities straight so we can be in a position to invest in science, education and space exploration requires that we learn some lessons and solve some big problems first, that I agree with. The part that we differ is that I think at some point in the future we should look past our belly buttons and reach out to other planets. But it will be hard to get there if we don't solve some pressing problems here on Earth.

• Energy production.
      • We currently use finite resources that could be a significant factor in our planets demise (only a handful of idiots think its not). Even if it is not, we will still run out at some point.
    • Education.
      • Our global approach to the education system is one size fits all and does not foster innovation or creativity. Rather it makes great button smashing automatons that feel entitled to their stupidity.
    • America is downing in debt because of bad choices it made.
      • It has the largest army on the planet yet hasn't won any of its wars of choice in 50-60 years, yet they continually CHOOSE to engage in costly unnecessary wars, never learning their lessons.
      • America needs to work off the debt, learn their lessons and focus on important things that matter which is hard because...
      • The American economy has been built around facilitating the military which needs war to keep things rolling. Very 1984 as we start to heat up relations with North Korea and Iran. That needs to change it needs to be centered around science and innovation that makes our lives better, not worse. We need a peaceful economy not a war mongering economy.
    We can't move forward until we fix those problems and honestly I think that is going to take 1-2 generations to work through...

China will invade and take over the US long before it can mend itself. There will be no war. We owe them so much more money every year that they will just have to ask for all their money back, and claim the entire country. I am not being sarcastic.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Haiasi wrote: »
    China will invade and take over the US long before it can mend itself. There will be no war. We owe them so much more money every year that they will just have to ask for all their money back, and claim the entire country. I am not being sarcastic.

Why yes, Mars does have lots of rocks, and I feel it would be a boring place to live without the wonders currently found here on Earth. Not to mention the risks! I'm all for not eating animals but I would definitely miss my animal companions.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Are they find the solution fot the radiation problem?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I think I'd do it and immediately regret it.

I don't think we should wait to explore space. We really do need to fix up stuff here, but there's never going to be a time when it's fixed - things are pretty shit in some ways now in some countries, but they're the best they've ever been in many parts of the world.

What we do need is to eject some seed out there so the human race and just life in general life can live on after some douchebag invents super-AIDS.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    Realistically, does everyone have to be willing to adapt to a vegan diet (maybe not for the journey, but once they get there) or are they planning on making room to take animals to live up there as well? Taking animals would be a real waste of resources, not to mention probably a crammed and unpleasent journey for the creatures.

I'm sure the goal is to create a sustainable living situation on that planet, one where you dont need to be constantly resupplied in order to survive.

I think the green houses eventually are suppiosed to provide most of the food, but until the settlement expands it will be relying mostly on shipments from earth, which will be offset by the greenhouse food to last the two years between shipment windows. That being said protein is a requirement, especially in a lifestyle of hard work, (I assume building a settlement on a hostile world would be considered a hard lifestyle) so I assume that there will be some form of protein in the shipments, if nothing else protein shakes/bars, at least for the foreseeable future, until it expands to self sustainability.
    Are they find the solution fot the radiation problem?

According to Wikipedia, after a year on ISS people start getting mild amounts more radiation than on Earth, but not enough for it to really matter, since the trip is only supposed to be a 7 month journey, I doubt you would have much problem. As for permanent radiation concerns on Mars, I highly doubt there is really a good way to tell until you actually get there, but considering Mars has some form of atmosphere, (even Earth looking clouds apparently) I think the radiation would be even less there. All in all if it takes roughly 40 years to start developing cancer or something, (so roughly estimated you could use it for sand paper,) then I don't think it would be to much of a problem, as at that point the people on Mars would be getting old enough (assuming they last that long in the first place) that they wouldn't be much use. Compound that these are some of the smartest people in the world (also assuming they stick to their 4 people every 2 years, you would have quite a settlement by then,) I don't think they would have much problem treating cancer. Though at some point I'm sure this would have to be addressed.

So many assumptions in the past paragraph... I feel like an ass.

Finally, I personally think man kind will kill its self off at some point in the next 100 years if we don't find some way to stop these wars, and since I HIGHLY doubt we're going to go against thousands of years of tradition and suddenly stop fighting, whats wrong with a little insurance?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Bonkahe wrote: »
    Finally, I personally think man kind will kill its self off at some point in the next 100 years if we don't find some way to stop these wars, and since I HIGHLY doubt we're going to go against thousands of years of tradition and suddenly stop fighting, whats wrong with a little insurance?

yeah I know it's Huffpo but I've heard this discussed a lot in the last few years: World Becoming Less Violent: Despite Global Conflict, Statistics Show Violence In Steady Decline

it's much like how US parents are terrified of letting their children go outside despite the country being much safer now than it was 30 years ago.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that may be the case but there is still plenty of people hacking people apart with machetes, and it only takes two insane people with a key and a long string of numbers to more or less remove humanity from existence, or near enough. I personally don't like them odds.

Edit: Ok remove Me from existence, there would be people in bunkers and stuff too, but I'd be dead, and since being dead sucks and all I would much rather not be dead... Mars or bust!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and it only takes two insane people with a key and a long string of numbers to more or less remove humanity from existence, or near enough. I personally don't like them odds.

and everyone that remembers the cold war chuckles through their facepalm.

Anyway, it would be far better and practical to build a self sustaining city on earth first before trying it on another planet.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and everyone that remembers the cold war chuckles through their facepalm.

Anyway, it would be far better and practical to build a self sustaining city on earth first before trying it on another planet.

Ok Andrew Ryan, raptures in the Atlantic, better get a move on, lol.

Edit: If it's in the Pacific no one say anything please, give me my moment of bliss.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build it on land, an undersea society is ridiculous
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    build it on land, an undersea society is ridiculous

That depends on if we get chicks with the fish-part on the bottom half or top half.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Actually, if they're planning on having you build, expand and such on mars, it becomes a lot more interesting. I thought it was more of a go-there-live-two-years-die kind of mission.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    One of the problems with permanent settlements is self sustainability.. food is one aspect but also living space on mars would be a huge problem..

there no fabrication out there, the world we live in relies heavily or resource extraction, the ability to transform those resources into semi finished good and finally to make an end product.

not to mention the logistics of it all.

As an example, space suits if there not going to be any sort of atmostphere there then everyone is going to need one. But if we're breeding like rabbits up there thats a shit load of space suits that have to be sent from earth. We cant make them on mars.. theres too many components and materials involved.

It whould make much more sense to colonize a planet that wasnt so environmentally hostile. but there isnt one in our solar system, unless we find a way of crossing huge voids of space into other systems going to mars is futile.

You'd be much better off colonising the moon
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^Agree with this.

I think the funds would be better spent trying to create a new way of travel, obviously interplanetary travel to cross into other areas finding like rolfness a better planet to inhabit. Though then comes the quest of how fucking hostile are the life forms on that planet what are their capabilities and what effects do the environments have on our materials and bodies.

Places can have oxygen sure but what if some organism "hypothetically speaking" lives within the oxygen or attaches themselves to the air/dust molecules and once we breathe them in either die or become zombies or even worse just parallelized in place and starve ourselves till we keel over.
    Endless possibilities but I would rather they made traveling long distances a reality instead of a just a possibility that is outside of our current reach.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the idea is to create a colony with current technology.
    @Snader - lol who would sign up for that, here you live for 2 years then die gasping for breath, make it count!
    seriously though fabrication would be the big issue, that's personally why I want to go, I like to dig and mine, and I know how to smelt various metals. And I'm sure I could learn the rest easy enough, but yeah replacement parts would be the main reason for not being self sustainable right off.
    On the breeding like rabbits, in a press conference someone brought this up to Mars one, and the main guy said although they would ban it on the station (I guess they would ship condoms lol) they said eventually someone would most likely do it anyways, and since there is not really any ways for earth to stop em, it would kinda be their own fault if they didn't have the resources to sustain a baby.

Edit: Oh he also said something about the moon, 1: there's nothing useful there. 2: what is there has been researched allot more than mars. 3: it's actually surprisingly cheaper to go to mars, because once you pick up speed its just a lot of drifting, and also there being no return journey helps with cost. 4: mars has an atmosphere. I don't get all this but apparently it would be allot more profitable and a lot less costly to go to Mars.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I would go in a heartbeat, and plan to sign up once applications are open.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Is your mom on mars?

Yes, without a doubt.

Haha.

I would certainly like to spend an extended period of time on other planetary bodies, just to experience it. I like travel so the idea of leaving this rock we're on altogether seems like a very fun adventure.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to Wikipedia, after a year on ISS people start getting mild amounts more radiation than on Earth, but not enough for it to really matter, since the trip is only supposed to be a 7 month journey, I doubt you would have much problem.
    Humans are pretty resilient; the real problems with radiation is shielding electronics from it. Curiosity has such (comparatively) underpowered hardware because it all has to be capable of working in conditions much harsher than Earth.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, one way trip to mars? Dunno about that, but i know there are many politicians here that i'd gladly pay them one way trip there. :P
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zocky - Lol I know exactly what you mean, can anyone say penal colony?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    That depends on if we get chicks with the fish-part on the bottom half or top half.
    That reminds me of a Shel Silverstein poem that was later changed a bit and put to music
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkjLpbEUZk"]The Mermaid - Great Big Sea (Studio Version) - YouTube[/ame]

...'Cause her hair was green as seaweed,
    Her skin was blue and pale.
    Her face, it was a work of art,
    I love that girl with all my heart.
    But I only like the upper part;
    I did not like the tail...

...Yes, her hair was green as seaweed,
    Her legs, they are a work of art!
    I love that girl with all my heart!
    AND I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE UPPER PART!
    'Cause that's how I get my tail.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    @Zocky - Lol I know exactly what you mean, can anyone say penal colony?

Hm, perhabs we should start kickstarter project? :P
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    ...'Cause her hair was green as seaweed,
    Her face, it was a work of art,
    I love that girl with all my heart.
    But I only like the upper part;
    I did not like the tail...

...Yes, her hair was green as seaweed,
    Her legs, they are a work of art!
    I love that girl with all my heart!
    AND I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE UPPER PART!
    'Cause that's how I get my tail.

Ha! that's great. I never knew about that song.