Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

February 1GAM - A Dangerous Venture

ScarletShark
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ScarletShark polycounter lvl 6
Firstly, hello! I'm excited to get involved with PolyCount. I've done a lot of reading on the site, but this is my first post. :)

For February, my partner and I were working on a 2D top-down dungeon crawler called "A Dangerous Venture" (Working Title). We built it using Unity3D and 2DTK. I'm a 3D generalist by hobby, but we really wanted to try something new. 2D Pixel Art is a new style for me, so I would love some feedback.

Premise:
“You are a fighter who has joined an adventurer’s guild in seek of fame, fortune, and power. In this pilot, you must navigate your way through a treacherous cellar. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find something useful down there..”
ADV_Forum.png

Play the Game

We only put together a pilot of the game - a somewhat simple 6 room dungeon, one enemy type, a couple traps, and a dungeon ending sequence. We are aware of the following bugs / issues:
  • Sprite sorting issues... Some chests, crates, etc will appear to be on the character's head when he is below them in the Y-axis.
  • Hitbox sizes need to be adjusted. It is easy to kill an enemy, and still get hurt.
  • The sword and sword hitbox need to be longer.
  • It is possible to be pushed by one enemy into a trap / another enemy (no blink / cooldown period)
  • We made potions, but did not implement them. We were busy putting out fires on February 28. As a result, this dungeon is unnecessarily difficult.
  • Traps can fire more than once, and there is no visual feedback for the activation of the trap.
  • Sometimes the "game over" screen and ending screen can get a Y-offset.
  • Proofreading issue in the ending dialogue.
  • Ending splash screen is ugly.

I'd love to get some feedback on gameplay, art style, additional bugs / issues. We plan to add mechanics, characters, and other fun stuff in the coming months!