Home Dota 2

WIP First DOTA 2 style character

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
This is my first attempt at making a Dota 2 character...ALOT to learn in the DOTA 2 workshop thread but wasnt sure if I should post this there.
This is what I have so far...Eunice: she's a rabbit with earth magic that uses rocks as armor...

uvYGt7s.jpg

The face...it's pretty much a face plate made of rocks

9UOlAsQ.jpg

Any feedback on design or tips is greatly appreciated. Im trying to follow the DOTA art style guide by gradating the level of detail from less at the feet, to more at the head to where the focus of most characters are.

After most of her is fleshed out I was going to retopo in zbrush using the topology brush, project the details onto the new topo, export to max/maya to unwrap, bring it back to zbrush to finish the middle details like cracks and chips...would this be the proper pipeline to go about doing this character???

Thanks in advance

Process on my blog so I dont clutter this post with misc pictures.
http://noteuthaiwat.blogspot.com/2013/03/eunice.html

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Is this just for practice? You can't submit entire heroes to the workshop. Only items for heroes already in game, couriers, wards, or voice packs.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah it's more so for practice and expanding my skill set. I was just using the guidelines at the workshop as sort of an official set of standards to follow.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I know the concept is already "done" but I feel like the silhouette could definitely be punched up more if she somehow felt more feral. Like a hunched over back or arms that are large due to additional rock protrusions, etc.

She's gonna probably need a focus point as well because right now it just seems it's just rock then skin. Maybe glowing eyes of a particular kind or an emissive element on the skin.
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    keep working on her once all the dota 1 characters are done valve is most likely going to allow new heroes from the workshop.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Im not TOO far along to make minor adjustments....I think I can break up the symmetry a bit with additional rock protrusions that you've mentioned...and I think I can pose her in a way that she's hunched over a bit. Thanks :) Emissive wise she'll have some blueish glowing "ancient" style writing one the upper part of the rocks.

Also with Steam Workshops getting its own section maybe Valve will have an easier time looking at new heroes :D
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Went back to photoshop for a bit to paint over the old ztool...you're right, the silhouette was not strong enough. Also liked the more "feral" idea so I gave her some more "pointy" shapes...liking this one better....
    thanks Panda
    YCuHwq3.jpg

Right hand sword / left shield