Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Through the Vent - Pixelpencil

Hi everyone! Name's Pixelpencil and this is my first thread here on PC :)

-"Through the Vent!"-

Summarize: Make a character who fits in the Dead Space universe who
escapes from a space station.

Current suit design
evac_suit_designs_01.jpg

The Character
A lone survivor who managed to get him/herself to the evacuation room on a space station. He/she is a civilian who lacks courage and would rather run from any danger than facing it head on. Equiped with only an EVAC suit and a flaregun, he/she tries to make his/hers escape through one of the vents leading out of the station.

I'm not interested if the character is a man/woman at the moment, the most
important is to create the suit design and put someone in it. So my
work progress should be as following:

- Create an "Evac Suit" designed for emergency situations.
- Add personal details and items
- Choose if character is male/female
- Rig the character, helmet and weapon
- Pose the character escaping out from a vent.

Character key features
- Bright colors (Orange, light grey)
- Reflex vest (easy to spot)
- Animated lights attached to the suit (easy to spot)
- Flare gun (weapon/tool)
- Extra oxygen tanks (supplies)
- Rations (supplies)
- Flares (supplies)
- Medical Supplies

The suit is supposed to be very cumbersome and really not a combat suit. He/she should feel more clumsy and bulky than Isaacs suit from the first Dead Space game. That's why I'm making the suit very bloated and thick as a real astronaut suit.

I've made a reference board where I find details and inspiration for my
design. A few things I've picked up while I've been drawing is that my character should feel helpess and really scared. Some of the design in the suit should reflect that, like the visor should be bigger and rounder than Isaacs usual "badass thin divided eyelines". Another thing is a low amount of armor pieces, since it's a civilian suit.

Refboard
reference_board_resize.jpg

Initial idea sketches
evac_suit_colors.jpg

I hope I'll make this in time! Really excited to work more on this project and see how everyone else's work turn out!

~Pixelpencil

Replies

• 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the concept art! You've got a lot of character in it.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a very interesting idea mainly because i love me some dead space...but giving this its own identity away from dead space will be your major task. i wanna see this as it progresses
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    this looks dead space,try altering the armor .
  • Pixelpencil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all :)
    this looks dead space,try altering the armor .

I stated in my first post that I'm aiming to create a character that would fit in the Dead Space universe. So if it look Dead Space, it's all correct :)
  • Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Just thougt I'd pop in to say that me and my brother Viggo are gonna join our buddy Migal (pixelpencil) here to whip up some Dead Space-themed environments (just bought the artbook and all, lot's of good inspiration in there) to go together with the escapee seen above. Really pumped for this one, will post ideas, moods and concepts or something later.
    Hopefully we'll pull this off :D
    We're kinda going for the retro-sci-fi theme Visceral have going on in Dead Space 3 on some of its levels, mainly because it's cool but also because it's challenging :D
  • Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a first, extremely rough and ugly, blockout of how things might look, we're going for a single room, with a lot of stuff in it, this will be quite the challenge. But yeah, ugly blockout, nothing will be used, but it will serve as a good guide for us when we start to model the actual stuff :D
    Hopefully we may post some cool stuff soon!
    uglyblockout.jpg