Home General Discussion

what is your main job?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hello, let discuss what is each one's main job?

for me, i work as a game developer now in a local studio in Jordan

My main major is Mechatronics Engineering which i think is more profitable/guarnteed than the game industry and it's headache.

now mates tell us what is your main profession/job?

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I work Nightfill at my local supermarket full time 10pm - 6am.
    Its good money, but i'd like a lighter job so i can have more time to invest in game development and art.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've had many jobs before now, and they've always run tandem to my freelance. until last year when i stopped doing everything and just went purely freelance as an artist.

it's been a struggle but i love it!

most notably though, i've been a session guitarist, and a chef.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I'm designer and illustrator at a newspaper. At free time, I'm a freelancer and amateur athlete.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Belias wrote: »
    Hello, let discuss what is each one's main job?

for me, i work as a game developer now in a local studio in Jordan

My main major is Mechatronics Engineering which i think is more profitable/guarnteed than the game industry and it's headache.

now mates tell us what is your main profession/job?

Did you ever finish that iOS game Belias? I've been looking forward to its release.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    iPhone/iPad developer/Unity3D, 3D. Starting a new job Monday as an iPhone/iPad developer and will also be working with asp.net - haven't done it before, will learn it on the job.

Majored in Geography with French, before doing an MSc in Computer Animation. Think I'm only just now settling into what I think will be a long term career, at 31 years of age. Work on games in my spare time.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Andreas wrote: »
    Did you ever finish that iOS game Belias? I've been looking forward to its release.

tumblr_m1kootsYno1qfnp35o1_400.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Belias is back!

QyAt9Vx.gif

Anyway Tech artist at the main job, but I dont get to code or rig stuff, mainly all scripting and in engine tasks, and some times I Get to do 3D/2D stuff for the game.

My Ios game I act more as a game designer/creative lead (At this point this is in a early alpha and looking nice)

And the other indie game im working on , I act as a designer again and Creative director for the world/mood/feel of everything in the game. But this is all super early so its more just prototyping and building tech to compensate for the art and vice versa.
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being unemployed my "job" is presently working on an indie game. Which is cool because I get to do everything. Taking small freelance stuff has helped keep me fed in the meantime.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Currently at University 3Rd year computer sciences. My three projects, 3d asset creation and optimization, Udk immersive game creation and a Research project on Immersion creation (in digi media).

Though last June i started at a tech studio. Ranked up to a manager position from intern in 5-6 months, then quit after 2 months of managing.

Pretty broad but shallow work; Posters/illustrative work, events, websites, Database Management Systems, Content management systems, IOS applications, "Big Data" handling, Charity work, 3D post production, 3D architectural renderings and so on.

Going for 3D junior position after i graduate and see how long it takes me to move up ;D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Graduated as a Software Engineer few years ago and have been looking for work in IT field ever since while upgrading by doing core courses of Networking such as Information and Storage management, SAN Management, Awamar Administration, Networker Administration for now while practicing game programming, maths and 2d and 3d arts from concepts to the final renders and possible rigging and animation(s).

Currently working as a bylaw enforcement.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I graduated with A.A.S degree in Simulation and Game Development last Spring and got a job offer in another state for a multimedia developer position in October. My department focuses on interactive training for various clients, mostly consisting of military and non defense government agency's. As a multimedia developer I mainly focus on Flash development, but I jump on 3D work whenever I can. I am also trying to expand my departments use of the Unity engine. The company I work for also owns the Army Game Studio so I am trying to beef up my portfolio more for when a 3d artist position opens up.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your reply guys.
  • agentfros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a Lab Assistant at my university.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a programmer; I'm currently contracting for Epic on Unreal Engine 4. Prior to that I worked on gameplay at Lionhead on Fable: The Journey.

Coincidentally, I'm flying to Jordan on Tuesday (going to hopefully do some more photodumps like these: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99018) - would be cool to meet some other developers. Throwing you a PM.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a Lab Assistant at my university.

programming lab?
    Coincidentally, I'm flying to Jordan on Tuesday (going to hopefully do some more photodumps like these: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99018) - would be cool to meet some other developers. Throwing you a PM.
    nice man, your welcome !
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Tech Artist at Digital Extremes. Educate artists on workflows, pipeline and write scripts to expedite the process. Some shader work too if we need it.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Cashier at Target..... Man I hope I don't have to say that much longer.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    original job direction as programmer for business applications (long long ago I learned Cobol, assembler, C, SQL, etc). I never worked in that field - most people form my class are now SAP consultants or similar. I got a BSc animation/media degree instead, worked as production artist and now I'm a technical-artist/manager/team-lead. I do management tasks, mentoring and training and some hands on pipeline programming. It's a really exciting mix - also thanks to our clients who outsource part of their awesome projects to us! :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Currently working as Danish QA language tester for Activision. Working on getting back to 3D after a break from it, hopefully the summer is going to be interesting. :)
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Lol so many programmers. Then again, not surprising that on an art forum the programmers would be hanging out in the discussion area not the art area :p

I am a programmer, too, and I also do some programming teaching at a school in Melbourne. I used to be a technical artist for about a year, which was awesome, and for a very special three months they let me an actual artist. But I keep getting dragged back to programming. they. won't. let. me. go.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    fulfilling Mike's theory, adding myself to the programmer list. Working as "developer technology engineer" for NVIDIA (located in Germany). Doing research on graphics programming and helping other companies with performance tips/techniques...
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Airforce Intrusion detection systems technician.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    I do vehicles at the moment at Gameloft Barcelona, so modelling, texturing and importing.
  • TutorIndia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a teacher in primary school :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    hey belias why does my browser report your homepage as as a malicious software attack page?
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a Design Lab tutor at the community college I go to. Mostly I help people with Photoshop, Modo and Unity.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey belias why does my browser report your homepage as as a malicious software attack page?

i requested to have this reviewed by google, now the domains will redirect to blogspot links soon, thanks.
  • killnpc
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think the question would be better paraphrased into "what job did you study/train for and what are you doing now?"
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Level artist at ubisoft montreal by day, DJ by night and pimpin' all day long.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I am a 3d designer for Microsoft Store video walls at Synect Media. We have other clients too and specialize in extremely wide format video.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    I am a Software-Engineer at a middle sized software company , i do management software for banks, reha centres, and trade fairs

also i am the most ruthless developper i have ever seen, XD
    you dont want to debug my code its not maintainable
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I studied to become an Interaction Designer, 3 years at a University in Sweden. Scrapped the thought and decided to learn more about Game-Art and become a game dev. Self-taught for year then landed my first job as an Contract Environment Artist. That was in 2011.

Today I work as an Environment Artist at Ubisoft Massive in Sweden.