Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Explosion bake in blender?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mnphear polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, i was looking for a tutorial or an explanation for explosion bakes, but i havent found any good resoults so far.

So i was hoping someone here would explain this stuff. :poly121:

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Do you mean exploded bake?
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hi mnphear!
    Explosion bake describes the procedure when you have for example a kind of complex model and want to bake a normal map or whatever map. So if there your model consists of, let's say about 50 elements (which your highpoly has got aswell), you should drag these elements (with an edit poly modifier) away from each other, so that each element does not interject with another. Of course you have to do the same with your highpoly elements (better type in the actual distance you choose, so low- and highpoly lie exactly on top of eachother). This way there won't be any issues with your normal map, ambient occlusion map or whatever ;)

I hope I could help you with this!

Cheers
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    I dont thik its possible except manually move parts away, but I would prefer baking in xnormal with cage, as blender doesnt support cage and that suck
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    @Obscura: i dont know if it is exploded or explosion :D
    @3dcaspar: Thank you for the information, it helped alot, do you know how could i do that in practice in blender?
    @Paul68Rageous:How is the cahe baking different than exploded/explosion baking?
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    its 2 different things, exploded bake is used when you wanna bake out some moving parts (like gun bolt), and cage is "option", where there is set exact copy of lowpoly but this copy is "bigger" and mostly its vertices are "pushed" outwards along its normals.
    This cage technique is made for objects with multiple smoothing groups (edge splits in blender, or flat shading). Without cage u will get nasty seams where edge splits are, and this can be fixed by using cage. lots of info u can find on polycount wiki - normal maps, baking, etc