Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sacred Forest Meadow Remodel WIP

Hello,

I thought I'd share with everyone my project I'm working on at the moment. It's a remodel of the Sacred Forest Meadow from Ocarina Of Time. It's nearly finished but there's still a few tweaks to be done so if you spot anything that could be changed or improved upon please let me know!

You can see the process behind this remodel on my blog at www.jturnerfx.blogspot.co.uk and a walkthrough of the model at http://vimeo.com/jturnervfx/sacredforestmeadow

Here's some screenshots as well!

Thanks for looking,

Jack

Replies

• jturnerfx
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Personally I think if you are to recreate a scene from an old game, it should use up-to-date techniques; your scene just looks like the game [from 1998] and only margianally better.
    Now I don't know how long you have learnt 3d for, or if the aim of the project was to create it exactly how the N64 version did, so perhaps take my crits with a pinch of salt.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I didn't read your post first, looked at the attechements and thought "oh, zelda?!" ha ha.
    But I also think you should not only "copy" the original setting but improve it. I'd love to see a reinterpretation of that place.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    JamieRIOT wrote: »
    Personally I think if you are to recreate a scene from an old game, it should use up-to-date techniques; your scene just looks like the game [from 1998] and only margianally better.
    Now I don't know how long you have learnt 3d for, or if the aim of the project was to create it exactly how the N64 version did, so perhaps take my crits with a pinch of salt.

I agree with this completely. It looks like the same poly count as the N64 version, but you just added high res textures, better lighting, and AA. You should really consider building it with modern specs in mind.
  • jturnerfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback. When I originally set out to do this project I wanted it to keep it's original N64 layout. I toyed with the idea of ramping it up with a high polycount and other similar things like that but decided I wanted to keep the original layout because I struggled to figure out how I would I could make it technically up to date but still keep the model instantly recognisable. If any of you have any ideas on how I would do this please feel free to let me know!

Many Thanks,

Jack
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    You could use some better (higher res, less stretching) textures and use normal and spec maps. Also you could add some extra geometry to the cliff. Nothing that goes to far away from the original version, but that support how it should have looked. That shadows have such sharp edges, you could also reduce these to get a more natural look.