Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Very first Zbrush sculpt (Dean Yeagle concept).

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
So some of you might know that i just started with modeling. You can see my sketchbook i started it at the same time (jan 18th). So far it's only been 3ds max and maya but being very very curious about zbrush i just had to give it a try. So hooked up my new tablet and gave it a wirl. Started with some basic lessons on Digital Tutors to see what the ui was about and then i went on and started the lesson Speed scultping a cartoon head in Zbrush. Shane used a concept from Dean Yeagle for this lesson and tbh. Even though i didn't match it exactly i think that i captured the "spirit" of it. And for a very firt try using Zbrush i think (and hope) that it's not to shabby.

Below are a render shot and character sheet (forgot the name). Used standard lighting so no special effects added to it. Comments, critique and advise are of course very welcome.

renderyg.jpg
characterstrip.jpg

Replies

• M.Palko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Palko polycounter lvl 4
    Great job for a first sculpt, definately captures the feel of the original cartoon. Keep it up!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I feel like his cheekbones could definitely feel mor prominent, or at least the facial folds/demorphs deeper and more apparent. Other than that, pretty solid for following that tutorial.

The material feels a tad flat, though I suppose that's the last concern at the moment.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Hiya guys thanks for the great responses :).

Yeah the mats atm are on the bottom of the list. Modeling first and then focus to improve materials/polypainting. I do agree with you Jade. it could be made a bit more prominent but i think it's the fear of a first model. Never having used Zbrush before and the different approach to modeling i had some fear of going overboard with it so stayed on the safe side a bit.