Home General Discussion

Laptop recommendations

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice on laptops, or perhaps more accurately a portable desktop. I move around on a semi regular basis, mostly it's a combination of general travel, family or work related, usually this leaves me with a portable that can keep up with light pc use but anything more and I'm out of luck.

I have a desktop at my house but I'm finding i have less and less time in front of it and would ideally like a laptop that can run the same software. I have no problem with the laptop needing a power point and desk as i plan to use it as a portable desktop, although in saying that i would prefer 15" sleek design over a 17" behemoth that looks like the batmobile with xmas lights.

My current desktops specs are
i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
16 gig ram
Nvidia GTX 460
and a western digital Black 1tb drive, not solid state.

Software i need to run 3dsmax, Mudbox, Zbrush, Photoshop, UDK and Dota2.

I have done some hours of searching myself but i feel like i have fallen off the end of the tech ladder again and wasn't able to find much concrete information particularly about running Mudbox and Zbrush. Ideally i would prefer a big brand name or at least someone reputable enough so that if i have a hardware problem they will just sort it out, with little to no bullshit.

I considered a macbook pro running in bootcamp, nice screen, looks pretty, hit what looks like most of my tech requirements and has good resale, but I'm sceptical about the nvidia GT line of video cards? as opposed to the GTX line? im not sure how much of a difference that will make? will the new gt or gtx 600M ranges be comparable to my two or so year old gtx 460 desktop card?

I also dont mind the Dell XPS line of laptops but again, it's a GT line of video cards, i would need to step up to Alienware for the GTX. I also took a look at MSI and Origin laptops, good but they look really big and clunky much like the Alienware... .

Anyway any hands on advice would be really helpful, especially if you are successfully running mudbox or zbrush on a laptop right now.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Look into the Asus G7x series. I would personally avoid Dell, they don't allow access to BIOS and one day that could come back to bite you, as it did me.

Look for a laptop that has two HDD bays, one for a SSD and another for a larger HDD.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    got a macbook 15" retina. It's not a full desktop replacement, but it packs quite some power for being so extremely portable. Runs ZB, Max, Maya and Unreal without any problems. The screen is just awesome. Great colors and I can change to any resolution I want and it looks great even under Windows. From a usability point of view it's the best laptop I had so far. Biggest problem is that the HDD and RAM aren't upgradable. HDD bothers me more than RAM, but I guess I could just get a USB3 or thunderbolt disc. Someone else suggested getting a couple of super fast 64gb SDHCs where you can put games or whatever else that doesn't need to be on the main disk.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you can build a small, micro-atx based PC in a tiny case, which isn't that hard to do. But then you've gotta lug an LCD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc around with you as well. So it really depends on how portable you want to get.

If you're going to be setting it up a a desk pretty much wherever you go, I would probably still prefer a PC. Ergonomically I hate working on laptops, and I don't think I would ever want to do serious work one one. I guess you can plug in a nice keyboard and mouse to it, but you're losing the size benefit a bit at that point.

I also wouldn't want to do any real work an anything less than a 24" monitor, I've got a 24 and a 23 for my workstation, I can't really imagine working on a 17 or 15 screen, no matter how high res it is.

So I think you really need to decide exactly what you want, if thats a small pc, or if its a laptop - and what size laptop, before we can really give you much advice.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I got this one a few weeks ago:

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=70419&vpn=NP700G7C-S01CA&manufacture=Samsung

I've been loving it so far. I had ordered a big clunky MSI but changed my mind before it was shipped and got this instead. It's pretty and discrete, except for the keyboard light, but that's not too bad. Performance has been great so far (I haven't had the chance to do sculpting in it yet), starts up really quick.
    I got it for a discount though, $1499.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I have an MSI GT70 0NC. I wouldn't buy one again as some of the components have issues:

Ethernet card is a 'Killer E2200' Bigfoot Gaming Lan. Works really well, so long as there is no conflict. Unfortunately conflict is not uncommon with it, Arma II multiplayer/Day Z is a no go, on connecting with a server... BSOD! I've had to disable the card entirely.

The much touted Dynaudio sound system I`m not impressed with at all, my old HP HDX18 sounds way better. Perhaps this shipped with a blown subwoofer, I don't know, hard to say without stripping down the machine.

The keyboard is a Steelseries, it's not exactly delicate you more or less have to punch the keys to ensure your typing/shortcuts and occasionally it registers an input but outputs nothing but a space.

It performs well for games, and Zbrush itself kaks out well before the machine's capability does.

Really can't imagine working on lower than a 17" screen though, that's pushing usability as it is.

Oh, and the blu ray died almost a year to the day.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If you're going to be setting it up a a desk pretty much wherever you go, I would probably still prefer a PC. Ergonomically I hate working on laptops, and I don't think I would ever want to do serious work one one. I guess you can plug in a nice keyboard and mouse to it, but you're losing the size benefit a bit at that point.

I also wouldn't want to do any real work an anything less than a 24" monitor, I've got a 24 and a 23 for my workstation, I can't really imagine working on a 17 or 15 screen, no matter how high res it is.

So if you relocate occasionally such as every 1 to 2 years would you recommend UPS shipping your PC and monitors or just buying a budget build again? Reason I ask is because.. well, UPS isn't exactly the gentlest when it comes to shipping. And I've heard a lot of stories about computer self-shipping being dangerous. But at the same time Computers are transported this way all the time when retail?
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Computers are transported this way all the time when retail?

They're frequently damaged in transit regardless of who ships it, heard plenty of tales of disconnected components like heatsinks out of the box.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The key to shipping computers, or anything valuable is to do an extremely good packing job. Make it drop/kick/throw proof. Bubble wrap each item, put in it's own box, then put it in another box with about 6 inches of packing peanuts of if you're really anal / worried about it. Though really, the most important thing to do is make sure that it is secure and won't shift around in the box. Most shipping damage occurs because items are not well secured and they smash around inside the box. The shippers are going to throw your box around, understand that and pack accordingly.

Packing really well is important if you have to file an insurance claim too, if you did an awful packing job no shipper is going to honor an insurance claim. And yeah, pay extra to insure the full amount.

Now, if your stuff is worth less than it will cost to ship/insure it, then maybe you just buy something new when you get there.

edit: Kwramm's suggestion to pack the inside to keep stuff from dislodging is a really good idea too.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I bought and sold many computes and never had a problem with UPS. Disconnect heatsinks inside and stuff the inside of the computer with crumpled up newspaper or clothing (if its your own PC). Disconnect anything that can vibrate. Buy a box that is at least 15 cm larger than the PC on all sides. Or even better, keep the original packaging - Dell & Co use that to send their PCs with courier services.

If you move frequently and don't actually need a laptop, then I agree, get a small desktop instead and a monitor that can be disassembled (I have some where it's impossible to detach the panel from the stand once assembled)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Cheers for the reply everyone, some really helpful information.

Andreas - Ill make sure to have a good look at the Asus when im in town next, and will make sure to avoid dell. The Asus still looks a little chunky, although from what i can gather it looks like anything with a GTX video card has the added size factor.

Kwramm - Really interesting to hear that Zbrush etc run no problem on the macbook Pro. Its definitely right up there on my list, price point seems a little steep and its a mac but its ticking allot of the right boxes, particularly having a nice screen.

EarthQuake - You make some really good points and i think things like screen size are going to be a real pain. What spurred this topic is i have ageing family living on opposite sides of the country, their health's ok for the most part but just recently i had to hop on a plane at short notice and it caused some pretty nasty headaches with a contract. Its one of thos things where it only takes one scare to make you realise you have been putting off seeing them forever due to avoidable responsibilities, and i think being able to do some casual work on the side via a laptop would make allot of that much more flexible and being able to just hop on a plane without having to juggle to much would be a weight off my shoulders.

Also and much less importantly, i like to surf when its not to cold and fish here and there. If i could lug a laptop along while the surfs pumping... lol life would be pretty sweet.

fonfa - Ill check this guy out alongside the Asus, they both sound like pretty nice and very powerful laptops.

firestarter - nasty to hear about the MSI giving you so much trouble, i had checked them out as i was under the impression they were a reputable but reasonably priced brand. Sounds like things have changed.

Really interesting to hear Zbrush runs so well on it though, ill note the specs and see if i can use them as a line in the sand.