Home General Discussion

Inspiring Inspiration: Artist Block

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

So had a thought, as an artist who frequently gets a creative block. I was wondering if we could perhaps make a singular thread where artists can post their methods of ridding the world of this terrible disease of Artist's Block.

Another good idea would be to post a link to your inspiration folder if it's on Dropbox.

Anyone would like to start? - Sythen.

Replies

• JeremiahJensen
    I guess if i had a creative block i would do some studies from other peoples concepts and let ideas come the more i learn :)

Also there is a dropbox file of all craig Mullins paintings ever done, i will try to find it and ill link it once i do

EDIT-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhrztlbn98c5ayt/S8I9-fflXG

Found it man ! enjoy :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I find it best to take a walk outside or chill in a cafe (no, starbucks and other im-a-work-at-a-coffeshop-hipster-with-my-macbook places don't count). Watch the people outside, or find a place with a garden or some nature to watch and relax. clear your mind. wait till new ideas start forming.

I really hate looking at other people's work for inspiration. I usually end up thinking too much along their art and losing the creativity of my own. And if I do that, I have to wait some days so I forget enough of what I've see so I can fill in the gaps with my own ideas.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Epic thread title: How to inspire becoming inspired.

Thats some inception shit - we've reached another level of depth.

Sythen have you ever tried just making stuff / exploring art when your suffering from said 'block'?

My brain must be wired differently because I don't think reaching a point where I literally can't do anything has ever happened to me. Are you tired? Burnt out? Frustrated at your skill level? Frustrated at the progress of the people your comparing yourself too? What actually is the problem or how do you feel when your 'blocked'.

I ask because I'm not sure if the words " I have artists block " are just another way of saying, 'I legitimately need to take a break from this' in which case that sounds like a symptom of working hard and what these guys above have said is good advice.

Or is it something completely different alltogether. Enlighten us if you care to.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    For me, sometimes my mind just doesn't feel like creating; in which case, I think it's something that needs to be worked through, or assessed as possibly being a reason to find some other career, if that doesn't work.

Or maybe you are just tired and need a break; in which case, do stuff you really enjoy for a week, then come back to it.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    when I can't think of anything to make, I take a concept that I like and work off of it. If I'm too tired/exhausted to work, I take a day or two off and then go back to making things.

I remember a while ago where a thread like this would pop up every so often. Browsing those might help out too.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112451&

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107742&

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102042&

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87748&

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1402355
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Just wanted to chime in and say don't be afraid to take a break. When I do, most of the time I feel guilty for not working but taking a day or more off can do wonders. You can come back to whatever you were working on with a fresh mind and often times if you were having a problem solve it much faster.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I find it best to take a walk outside or chill in a cafe (no, starbucks and other im-a-work-at-a-coffeshop-hipster-with-my-macbook places don't count)

yah dude i try to avoid hipsters completely. the coffee shops *i* go to are so indie you probably never heard of them.

08.jpg

but in all srsness if you feel like you "cant get inspired" then you just arent looking at things deeply
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    IM SO INSPIRED RIGHT NOW
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Hazardous wrote: »

My brain must be wired differently because I don't think reaching a point where I literally can't do anything has ever happened to me. Are you tired? Burnt out? Frustrated at your skill level? Frustrated at the progress of the people your comparing yourself too? What actually is the problem or how do you feel when your 'blocked'.

This. I often times feel as if I've just run out of ideas, but that's rarely the case. It's just that my skill level isn't where I want it to be, so I can't always translate my ideas into the program I'm using. I also tend to compare myself to others on here, and its hard not to let that affect you negatively. I'm only speaking from experience so what you're dealing with may come from a different place, but I find that the more I just work and make stuff, even if I end up throwing it out later, the less I feel "blocked."

I've also started buying up art books online, and flipping through those when I'm feeling stuck. The Halo 4 one is incredible, and I just recently got the Sparth art books, which are fantastic as well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    surely looking at better artists than yourself would only serve to inspire you, not make you feel bad. odd way to think. sometimes just working through the 'pain' is the best way to go

also learning new stuff can help, ie look through a a bunch of tutorials on you tube
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Harry wrote: »
    yah dude i try to avoid hipsters completely. the coffee shops *i* go to are so indie you probably never heard of them.

08.jpg

but in all srsness if you feel like you "cant get inspired" then you just arent looking at things deeply

looking at? you sure you didn't want to say inhaling? ;)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Ruz wrote: »
    surely looking at better artists than yourself would only serve to inspire you, not make you feel bad. odd way to think. sometimes just working through the 'pain' is the best way to go

also learning new stuff can help, ie look through a a bunch of tutorials on you tube

Not sure if you were referring to me or the OP, but as far as where I was coming from. It is inspiring, but can also be intimidating. When I first graduated I was intimidated and disheartened by the quality I saw on here, and too often I told myself "I can't do that, I'll never be that good." Now though, the more time I've spent on PC, and working on my own projects, my confidence has started creeping up, and I do get inspired by other artists, and it's no longer "I'll never be that good", it's "I'm not there yet, but I will be." Not sure if others have had that feeling but that's what I meant.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    -go jogging, that usually helps me
    -surround yourself in awesome, seriously every site i visit bombards me with awesome art. i`d feel bad if i didn`t create anything
    - do fan art, if you really dont have the inspiration to create something from scratch try doing your own thing with existing ips you like
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    just take a deep breath and remind yourself that game art/CG is commercial art - fine artists get blocks and are wracked with depression and doubt
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, just back from work. Wow this thread filled fast.
    @Hazardous:
    Inspire-ception. ;)

Life is pretty complicated, but I usually never had an issue of separating life from my art. Along with losing 9 years of a portfolio, I've been trying to get inspired to develop again.

My issue is that for the last 7 months I've not been inspired to develop anything, and have become somewhat scared of 3Ds Max and Photoshop. I've been trying to develop and have been given projects to do. But I can't create anything more than your typical box levels and objects with easy geometry.

I've tried looking through inspiration folders, but I've not seen anything that's made me go. Oh, I want to make that - It's awesome.

I suppose yes, my issue is a little bit more elaborate. But since I was 9 years old, I knew that this was what I wanted to do, this is my life - and for the last 8 months I've not been able to open the software.

- Sythen.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaaaat ? 8 Months!! Come on man, its just a click!! If you can't open the software I think its time you looked at doing something else. Down here in Australia if you just told me that over the bar while we were having a beer together as mates I would tell you to take your skirt off, cancel your manicure, grow a moustache and harden the fuck up.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1514055#post1514055

and more importantly:
    Blaizer wrote: »
    If you don't have motivation it's BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU DO. Simple.
    (a rare occasion where I totally agree with Blaizer)

I'll be honest, I hate these types of threads and for some reason feel compelled to say it every time one pops up. I think your intentions might be good, but this is really just a cry for help with no realistic solution. It's like asking someone what makes them happy to find out what makes you happy. Without getting into a giant rant, which I'm prone to do, motivation/inspiration/creativity is a personal thing. It's what makes you an artist. No suggestion that anyone makes will determine whether or not you can sit down and make something well. That's just not how it works, you need to do it on your own.

And beyond that, no offense to those who posted, but it's always the same sort of thing:
    -Exercise
    -Read books
    -play games
    -go out with friends
    -take a step back and relax
    -looking at different artists
    -watch movies
    etc.

Seriously? if you can't figure out that "looking at art" may be a good idea, as an artist, you may have a bigger problem than just not being inspired.

I just don't understand it. I've never felt this way in the 10+ years I've been learning game stuff. If anything, I've skipped from one idea to the next and just not finished anything - but never a loss of inspiration. I don't think it's a lack of inspiration (to poorly quote Louis CK, "the mind goes forever inwards"), like what Haz is saying, I think there is a more solid reason why you are feeling this way - and it's nothing that a link on a website, or a suggestion from some clown on a game art forum will tell you.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    c'mon guys, the reason this keeps coming up is because it's as old as art itself. I really think people saying they never experience it are being disingenuous.

Here's some advice from Neil Gaiman (because art block and writer's block are the same thing in my opinion):

"The other thing that I would say about writer's block is that it can be very, very subjective. By which I mean, you can have one of those days when you sit down and every word is crap. It is awful. You cannot understand how or why you are writing, what gave you the illusion or delusion that you would every have anything to say that anybody would ever want to listen to. You're not quite sure why you're wasting your time. And if there is one thing you're sure of, it's that everything that is being written that day is rubbish. I would also note that on those days (especially if deadlines and things are involved) is that I keep writing. The following day, when I actually come to look at what has been written, I will usually look at what I did the day before, and think, "That's not quite as bad as I remember. All I need to do is delete that line and move that sentence around and its fairly usable. It's not that bad."
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    @Sythen; you haven't been able to launch a 3d app for the last 8 months? This sounds like more than an artist's block - you may have stopped liking what you're doing - completely. This is a tough and challenging field and most of the time nobody's going to spoonfeed you your "inspiration". You could simply spend an eternity waiting for it. There's really no way around it, you either do what needs to be done and try to become better at it or you just don't. At this point, you may want to start reconsidering a career in arts.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I get artist's block sometimes when I'm in between projects. I've found that the best solution is to literally look around my apartment, pick something, and give myself a short deadline to reproduce it in 3D. It doesn't have to be inspiring, just do it. It's amazing how your mind's eye simplifies every day objects that, when modeled, end up being pretty interesting.

As an added bonus, you can sell or stock pile your "artist's block" for later use. Will I ever need a photo-realistic model of rolled nickels? No idea, but I've got one!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Disturbing amount of 'just quit' comments in here.

OP I recommend just maybe reducing the intensity of your feelings towards game art. I think the attitude of 'oh god I have to do this, I've wanted to do this my whole life' could be playing a part in your apprehension. Just relax, work another job, get away from the computer screen as much as possible, play some games from genres you wouldn't normally be into, etc.

Also consider just following some tutorials online. The subject is typically set, so there's no 'hmm, maybe I'll do this...or this', and you'll pick up some new workflows, most likely. Win win. :)

You're not alone in this and it doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. It hits all of us to some degree.
    Equanim wrote: »
    I get artist's block sometimes when I'm in between projects. I've found that the best solution is to literally look around my apartment, pick something, and give myself a short deadline to reproduce it in 3D. It doesn't have to be inspiring, just do it. It's amazing how your mind's eye simplifies every day objects that, when modeled, end up being pretty interesting.

As an added bonus, you can sell or stock pile your "artist's block" for later use. Will I ever need a photo-realistic model of rolled nickels? No idea, but I've got one!

I see your nickels and raise you a normal mapped low-poly coffee bean!!! :poly124:
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have to disagree with the 'just quit' comments, I find it extremely hard to believe that every single one of you have 'just quit' when you've spent a few months away from development. If everyone had followed the advice here, then there would be no artists left on polycount.

Disregarding all of these comments of course, I've decided a good night's sleep (which I've not had in a while in all honesty), playing a few games I enjoy the hell out of, and looking up some tutorials was the best way to go.

Time to start =]
    - Sythen.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I think I have the opposite where I want to make everything and alot of the time I have too many things running through my head that its hard to pick what to do or even the good ideas from the bad ones. I don't see it as a 'block' but more like design development. When at uni I learnt it's important to get your ideas on paper, even the bad ones!!! This way it's outta your head and you can move on. You may even be able to develop it. If I'm really stuck then a good brief can really help, or look up some concept art and see if it sparks anything in you.

As for the being intimidated by other artists, I think it's best to look at it like a friendly rivalry. I see stuff from haz, kolby, grassetti etc. and I think bloody hell that's good but I also think my next model needs to be better than there's. that doesnt mean it is but it sets a quality bar. me and my brother have the same thing and its really funny. It's like an unspoken rivalry that's all in our heads haha.

Your issue may not be a creative one though. Best thing is to open up the software and get going. Once it's open and you are going , all that feeling will go away. I burnt out on a freelance job once and had the same where I didn't want to open it for a week but once I was back in it was fine :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen wrote: »
    Time to start =]
    - Sythen.

The smartest thing you could possibly do.
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find the polycount google+ hangout very inspiring, last friday it got so bad I considered staying in the hangout instead of grabbing beers with my friends :/
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    crazyfool wrote: »
    I think I have the opposite where I want to make everything and alot of the time I have too many things running through my head that its hard to pick what to do or even the good ideas from the bad ones.

I have this occasionally and it can be just as bad for productivity due to indecision; for me anyway.

What I do when I am in this kind of phase is make a list in a .txt in my 'Work' folder and whenever I am feeling a little bit of block I open it up and remember all the cool stuff I thought of doing before.

Also Sythen, don't be afraid to change up; if your 3D is frustrating you, try some UI stuff, or handpainted stuff... it can all go in your 'folio at the end of the day.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Whaaaat ? 8 Months!! Come on man, its just a click!! If you can't open the software I think its time you looked at doing something else. Down here in Australia if you just told me that over the bar while we were having a beer together as mates I would tell you to take your skirt off, cancel your manicure, grow a moustache and harden the fuck up.

I just imagined you doing that, it kinda helps!

---
    The most crippling block I seem to get is that there's some kind of anxiety attempting to do anything creative. That feeling when you want to draw but that blank page could not be more of a deterrent. I know that once I get into it I'll happily do it for a while but man that first hurdle is so hard to get over, especially when there's alternative activities like playing games, watching TV etc. That's a good point, give yourself less options: you'll be surprised what you can come up with when there's literally nothing better to do than your art.

I'm also hearing the negative encouragement some people are giving and ah well it's what they believe and it's up to you to believe that or not as well. I sit on the fence of giving up. The amount of times I wanted to start a thread announcing that I've had it and just want to slink away into the darkness. I didn't though, not because I had some kind of boost in confidence but simply because I know that polycount doesn't need another pity thread.

I don't know maybe I just "kind of" want to be game developer...

Anyway my uh, point is don't do that. Don't give up, work hard, remember that you can't just wait for inspiration and that anything artistic you do is a form of progress. Surround yourself with art you like, I like robots and animal people, got plenty of reference materials feels inspiring.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    just take a deep breath and remind yourself that game art/CG is commercial art - fine artists get blocks and are wracked with depression and doubt
    yeah, whether it's concept work or 3d, the stuff we do isn't "art" art and 98% of the time you can get around a "block" by just forcing yourself to sit down and work long enough to get into a flow.