Home Technical Talk

photoshop cs 5/6 . . . just checking (save as copy)

monsto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
monsto polycounter lvl 18
It's my understanding that I'll just have to learn to deal with the "save as copy" bullshit... that it can't be disabled.

Is this correct? Or am I the only person left in the world that has to deal with this?

If this is the case, and there is actually a fix for it, I might just paypal a case of carbonated hop-flavored beverage to the person that can tip me how to make it fucking stop.

I use an Action to quickly save the current work as a DDS. I have a couple of files where I've recorded the save and it does NOT add "copy", but I've not figured out how I did it.

Replies

• diedir
    you must flatten your image before saving, i think it's your problem
  • Bek
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    dDo allows you to do this, even if you aren't using dDo to make/generate textures. It also has other handy selection and previewing tools that will work with the typical photoshop texturing workflow.
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre polycounter lvl 11
    monsto wrote: »
    It's my understanding that I'll just have to learn to deal with the "save as copy" bullshit... that it can't be disabled.

Is this correct? Or am I the only person left in the world that has to deal with this?

If this is the case, and there is actually a fix for it, I might just paypal a case of carbonated hop-flavored beverage to the person that can tip me how to make it fucking stop.

I use an Action to quickly save the current work as a DDS. I have a couple of files where I've recorded the save and it does NOT add "copy", but I've not figured out how I did it.

Man the only way I can avoid this is to record the action "WITHOUT" the file being use at all, after that you can execute your action with the file beign used and will work.

Other that that I know no other way. Hope it helps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    If you want to use your own Action, you could add a Flatten step, then after the Save step add a command to jump backwards in the History to before the Flatten.
  • monsto
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried the flatten > save > undo bit. Didn't work for me.

@juguefre
    how the heck do you record a save action with no file open? Or did you mean something else with "without the file being use at all"?

@Bek will cheggit. That may just do it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Not undo. Go back in History a step (Ctrl Alt Z).
  • monsto
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, that's what i meant. It still does save as copy, even after flatten (not just merge selected)
  • c.buliarca
    Offline / Send Message
    c.buliarca polycounter lvl 11
    Hi monsto maybe this will help, http://buliarcatools.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html if you want to sa ve it as .tga.
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message
    monsto wrote: »
    how the heck do you record a save action with no file open?

OH.....I mean with the file not being used in ANY OTHER PROGRAM not even in any other tab on Photoshop. Then you can use it as much as you want and the action will work as expected.

Sorry for my english.
  • Eric Chadwick
    So, you start Photoshop and load only the one file, then record your action?

It's worth it to take a look at the 2nd link Bek posted. There are some great tools in there for saving DDS files. A lot easier than problem-solving a custom Action.
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message
    So, you start Photoshop and load only the one file, then record your action?

It's worth it to take a look at the 2nd link Bek posted. There are some great tools in there for saving DDS files. A lot easier than problem-solving a custom Action.

I can't believe my english is so bad!........

the question is how to get rid of the "save as copy" right?

lets say you have a texture named 123.jpeg (is just an example)and want to avoid ending with 123_copy.jpeg.
    Well just record the saving process(saving TO 123.jpeg) without using the 123.jpeg file in any other program, after that you can use it in any or all programs at once if you wish and make as much changes to 123.jpeg and the action will keep saving to that file, no matter if you have 100 layers or the type of file you are saving to (tga, bmp, iff, png, tiff, etc) you will be saving to 123.jpeg (of course it will save to the specific format recorded in the action .jpeg is just an example as I wrote previously)

And anyway is way faster to execute an action to save.

Hope that clears up, if not then I quit on this topic. Once again sorry for my lame english.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Is your PSD file the same name as the file you're saving to? As in File.psd and File.tga? Sometimes when the file name is the same as the source it will screw up and default to "save as copy." Try to name your action save slightly different. I tend to use filename_textureType.tga as my naming convention. So for diffuse I would save File_dif.tga, file_nor.tga for normals, etc.

If you're saving your texture with the same name as the PSD, it can cause this error. I don't even need to flatten out my layers when I use this method.

At least, if I understand what your problem is correctly.
  • monsto
    Offline / Send Message
    @jugufre that sounds like it may work I will try that.

@praetus that makes a ridiculous amount of sense and it may be why sometimes it's worked and sometimes it hasn't.

[edit] as I was messing with it, I realized that you both wer talking pretty much about the same thing. Recording the action as saving directly to the file name as well as saving as a filename different to the .psd both accomplish much the same thing.

And VOILA. FIXED. As I said, that explains why it worked sometimes.

Just to be clear: The simple fix is to name the exported file (DDS in my case) as something other than the name of the PSD. If you're working in say asshairs.psd, then the dds should be something other than asshairs.dds.

In my case, asshairs_s.dds wasn't even different enough to avoid it, so I've fallen back on my publishing days... a single psd that keeps all the different bits as layers is now called "asshairs flat.psd" and the individual txts are "asshairs_s" or _msn or _n. and now I don't have to fumblefuck with " copy" being tacked on.

Here's hoping that this thread helps some other poor creature that's dealt with this in the past.