Home Technical Talk

CE3 Terrain Heightmap Resolution

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
nukes polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone,
So im trying to create a terrain in cryengine using a heightmap.
I want my terrain to be 256*256 (1 meter) and import a highresolution heightmap
that is 4096*4096.
But i can't. I can only import a heightmap of 256*256.which doesn't have any kind of detail.
If I want a heightmap of 4096*4096 i have to make a terrain of 4096*4096 meteres.
What the christ?
Can't I just make a small terrain that's very detailed?

Thanks.

edit:
Also when I import my heightmap the terrain scales/stretches vertically. I try to reduce range heavy/light...my terrain disappears.
Is there a way to import a heightmap and create a terrain in CE3 properly?

Replies

• FlynT
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    1. Have you tried the resize function in the terrain editor after you imported your 4k height? Don't know what exactly you're trying to achieve since 256 is pretty small but that could work.

2. What i usually do is to set the terrain height to something more fitting like 512 and then i do a normalize. But you have to do the height change before you import your heightmap otherwise it will cut off the tops. So yeah change the height to 512 import your map normalize and then resize it to 256.
  • nukes
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    Hey man thanks this is my terrain with 4k heightmap which holds all my detail
    but the scale is way off , i just don't need a 4 km terrain.
    When I resize terrain this happens:

goodt.jpg

wrongi.jpg

The set height, normalize seem to work ok, ill be experimenting more with those.
    thanks.
  • FlynT
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Yea i tried it for myself with the same result :/

I don't know how the resize calculation is done but maybe a resize from a lower resolution will work eg. 1024 to 256. You'll lose details but as long as the general shapes are there it's fine since the details can be added through sculpting the terrain.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Simply speaking you can't. Minimum scale is of 1m.