Home Technical Talk

Making bricks in zbrush, setting them up in 3dsmax first

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I've been wanting to learn how to sculpt bricks in zbrush for use in a texture with normal mapping.

I've been trying to follow this post by Kevin johnstone, showing his gears of war 2 environment work.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62114&highlight=gears+war+kevin&page=3 it's the part showing his process of making bricks.

Workflow06.jpg

On this image has he shaped the sculpted bricks into these shapes, then baked them? or did he first bake the sculpts to the plane?

If anyone could explain his process a bit better or link me to a more indepth process of it, that'd be great

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    He first baked out his textures, then mapped his geometry to it, and then he began bending and modifying the shape of the mesh. It's much easier and efficient than baking every shape that you would need.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    He first baked out his textures, then mapped his geometry to it, and then he began bending and modifying the shape of the mesh. It's much easier and efficient than baking every shape that you would need.

Ah i see, so would his UVs for the pieces look a bit odd then? because he is fitting it to the texture rather than the texture being fitted to the UVs
  • Sean VanGorder
    The most common way to create buildings and modular sections for games is to lay out your texture sheet first, or while you're creating the model, and then mapping the geometry to the texture. This means you'll have a ton of overlapping UVs fit on to the same sections of a texture sheet, which is a little odd if you're used to using only unique unwraps and UVs.