Home Technical Talk

[Maya] - UVs normalize problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hey there !

I get a little problem with the UVs Normalize using maya.
Here are two images explaining my problem :

problem1.jpg

So when I normalize unwrap the face, here is what I get ... It should be a perfect square.
Like in there : http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/index.html?url=Edit_UVs__Normalize.htm,topicNumber=d0e261638 (image in the Each face separately section (the option I check in the Normalize options))

So I thought there was a problem with my model but I tried with a cylinder and extruded 3 faces and here is what I got :

problem2.jpg

As you can see there's many problems. On the bottom left you can see that some faces are unwrapped the way they should.
All the triangles are all unwrapped a different way (thought they'll be all unwrapped the same way, for example 0,0 - 1,0 - 1,1 (U,V of the 3 points).
And extruded faces (except the face I selected to extrude) are unwrapped as lines.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe one of you will =)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Normalize takes your UV shells and moves the bounding box scale to the 0-1 space. For instance if you have a sphere with saw tooth pole UVs the proportions will be maintained as the scale is applied. So UVs that have not been laid out can not benefit from the normalize command.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    It could also be a case of corrupt geometry. Corrupt geometry can give weird faces when unwrapping. What unwrapping algoritm are you using? (Cylindrical would be a good starting point here)
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @King Mango : Hmmm it depends on the options you use because when I do exactly like you, with Each face separately checked and Preserve aspect ratio unchecked Here is what I get (which is what I want, all quads are mapped as perfect squares mapped to 0-1 UV spaces, and triangles get 2 differents UVs (not like one different unwrap for everyone of them).

probs1.jpg

@Deadly Nightshade : Interesting, I didn't know I needed to unwrap before (but I did it with an automatic mapping (which is I think the best starting point for the shape I want to unwrap (the cylinder was just an example) and it's still the same :().
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Ok, so, because it wasn't working I tried unwrapping a face like I wanted, copy the UVs of it, select all the other faces and copy the UVs and it worked like I want.
    Still weird that normalize isn't doing what I want :)